[SOLVED] 8-pin CPU power socket and 4-pin PSU plug

Jul 22, 2021
I just bought a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and Ryzen 4350G APU. This is an upgrade for my old headless server sporting a Core2 CPU.

Reading the manual online (haven't received the box yet) I see it has an 8-pin CPU power socket, but both PSUs I have here only have a 4-pin plug. It looks like the plug will fit into the socket on one side. I know that inside every PSU I have opened all the various wires of the same colour are wired together. If this is the same on the motherboard, then will this work?

The APU has a TDP of 65W and recently been tested with little over 70W under full load.

Solution
Must be a renown Chinese make, lol. 400W, 12V rated @ 15A.
That's a 180w PSU, not 400w and must be crap with bad voltage regulation and skyhigh ripple. Replace it for a decent and modern PSU that meets the ATX requierements of your new hardware. ATX2.4/2.52. That are all the models in Tier A and B from the PSU tierlist.
Jul 22, 2021
They are old. One is an Athlon 64 X2, the other a Core2. I collect old hardware... :D

The one in the Athlon PC is branded "Power (TM)". Must be a renown Chinese make, lol. 400W, 12V rated @ 15A.