[SOLVED] 8-pin from IPU wont fit in GPU 8-pin slot

Mar 30, 2020
I want so swap IPU's but stumbled upon a problem where 8-pin cable from IPU won't go in the graphic card. Right now with old IPU it works by 6+2 pin and new one is just 8-pin.

Solution
What you could do, is find the part numbers for the cables you need. Make sure, and double sure they are correct for your specific PSU.

Find a different (online)store that sells the cables with those part numbers, and buy the cables where your method of payment is accepted, and the store seems trustworthy

Sometimes a PSU is based on a model from a different manufacturer and re-labeled with another brand

For example I had a Corsair PSU, which was based on a PSU platform from Seasonic.

You can see how much info you can dig up on your CoolerMaster, and see if cables from sa different manufacturer is compatible

If you have even the least bit of doubt if the cables are compatible, you should not use them until compatibility is...
With IPU, are you referring to the power supply unit or the integrated graphics in the CPU?

In my post below, I'll refer to the power supply unit (PSU) and not the iGPU graphics processor in the CPU, and also the dedicated graphics card in your picture (GPU)
----

You have to use the 6+2-pin for your 8-pin on the GPU.

The extra 2 pins, attatches to the 6-pin, and will act as an 8-pin when pushed into the GPU connector

To me, it looks like your are holding an 8-pin for the motherboard in your second picture, although I can't be 100% sure.
But that won't fit in your GPU if it is in fact an 8-pin 12vEPS connector.
Don't try to force anything or use somekind of adaptor, they are shaped differently because they can't be used for anything but their intended purpose. One is for CPU power, the other is for GPU power

If it isn't the 12V EPS 8-pin you shared a picture of, it could also be the end that is supposed to fit into the PSU if it's a modular design, which also won't fit into your GPU

6+2 is the one you should use

-----
If you by IPU mean integrated graphics (iGPU), the answer will be a different one

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
With IPU, are you referring to the power supply unit or the integrated graphics in the CPU?

In my post below, I'll refer to the power supply unit (PSU) and not the iGPU graphics processor in the CPU, and also the dedicated graphics card in your picture (GPU)
----

You have to use the 6+2-pin for your 8-pin on the GPU.

The extra 2 pins, attatches to the 6-pin, and will act as an 8-pin when pushed into the GPU connector

To me, it looks like your are holding an 8-pin for the motherboard in your second picture, although I can't be 100% sure.
But that won't fit in your GPU if it is in fact an 8-pin 12vEPS connector.
Don't try to force anything or use somekind of adaptor, they are shaped differently because they can't be used for anything but their intended purpose. One is for CPU power, the other is for GPU power

If it isn't the 12V EPS 8-pin you shared a picture of, it could also be the end that is supposed to fit into the PSU if it's a modular design, which also won't fit into your GPU

6+2 is the one you should use

-----
If you by IPU mean integrated graphics (iGPU), the answer will be a different one

I did mean Power Supply Unit, I've added pic of it for more context. I understand now that I need modular cable that goes in 8pin PCI-E slot in PSU and the other end is 6+2 that goes into GPU, right?

Thanks for the picture, it makes it a lot more clear

Yes. The cable you need, should have 8-pins on one end that attaches to the power supply - into one of the blue connectors on the power supply in your last picture. It reads 8pin PCI-E

On the other end of same cable, there should be a 6-pin with an extra 2 pins

The additional 2-pins can be combined with the 6-pin, thus providing the correct 8-pin for your graphics card

But on note, which could be important. Considering the layout of the pin connections on your PSU, and the way they clearly diffentiates between 6-pin and 8-pin, it could possibly be, that the connectors on BOTH end of the correct cable, could have 8-pin.

Just to make sure, you are using the cables that came with the PSU, right?

It is essential to make sure that cables from a different PSU are compatible with the one you intend to use them for, before you use differnt cables than original. It can potentially go very badly wrong if you use incompatible cables

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
Thanks for the picture, it makes it a lot more clear

Yes. The cable you need, should have 8-pins on one end that attaches to the power supply - into one of the blue connectors on the power supply in your last picture. It reads 8pin PCI-E

On the other end of same cable, there should be a 6-pin with an extra 2 pins

The additional 2-pins can be combined with the 6-pin, thus providing the correct 8-pin for your graphics card

Just to make sure, you are using the cables that came with the PSU, right?

It is essential to make sure that cables from a different PSU are compatible with the one you intend to use them for, before you use differnt cables than original. It can potentially go very badly wrong if you use incompatible cables

Epic, thank you so much! Any hints on how to search that cable or how its even called though?

The correct cable should be provided with the PSU, if you bought it from new.

If it is second hand, you need to find out, if CoolerMaster sells a replacement cable set for your PSU model, if you don't have them already

Or you can have cables made, that fits your PSU. Cables from other manufacturers can sometimes be used, but when doing that, make sure to double check compatibility before installing them. Not just if they pshysically fit into the socket, but also pin-out

Remeber - always use original cables, or make 100% sure that unoriginal cables are compatible with your exact model of CooerMaster power supply

One thing I have thought of since my previous post is that, considering the layout of the pin connections on your PSU, and the way they clearly diffentiates between 6-pin and 8-pin, it could possibly be, that the connectors on both ends of the correct cable, could have 8-pin.
But generally, the layout seen more often when it comes to PCI-e power, is 8-pin for the PSU and 6+2 for GPU

Also, because of the coloring of the sockets on your PSU, the right cable can possibly have the same color plastic on the cable connector, so it is easy to macth what cable goes where

So in short.

Look for the 8-pin cable in the included cable set for your PSU, that fits into the blue 8-pin socket on your PSU labeled "8pin PCI-e"

The other end should have a 6+2-pin (or possibly a complete 8-pin in ypur case).

Both connectors need to fit perfectly, otherwise they are not the correct cable. The correct cables should be included with your power supply. You shouldn't need to look elsewhere for cables

Could you possibly provide the exact model of the CoolerMaster power supply you have?

With the correct model, it would be possible to be a little more specific when answering, than what I've been able to so far

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020

If it is second hand, you need to find out, if CoolerMaster sells a replacement cable set for your PSU model. Or you can have cables made, that fits your PSU. Cables from other manufacturers can sometimes be used, but when doing that, make sure to double check compatibility before installing them. Not just if they pshysically fit into the socket, but also pin-out

Remeber - always use original cables, or make 100% sure that unoriginal cables are compatible with your exact model of CooerMaster power supply

One thing I have thought of since my previous post is that, considering the layout of the pin connections on your PSU, and the way they clearly diffentiates between 6-pin and 8-pin, it could possibly be, that the connectors on both ends of the correct cable, could have 8-pin.
But generally, the layout seen more often when it comes to PCI-e power, is 8-pin for the PSU and 6+2 for GPU

Also, because of the coloring of the sockets on your PSU, the right cable can possibly have the same color plastic on the cable connector, so it is easy to macth what cable goes where

So in short.

Look for the 8-pin cable in the included cable set for your PSU, that fits into the blue 8-pin socket on your PSU labeled "8pin PCI-e"

The other end should have a 6+2-pin (or possibly a complete 8-pin in ypur case).

Both connectors need to fit perfectly, otherwise they are not the correct cable. The correct cables should be included with your power supply. You shouldn't need to look elsewhere for cables

Could you possibly provide the exact model of the CoolerMaster power supply you have?

With the correct model, it would be possible to be a little more specific when answering, than what I've been able to so far

It is second hand, only modular cables left on it are for hard drives. Model seemed to be Cooler Master RS-A00-ESBA, also added another picture on imgur as well.

Mar 30, 2020

If it is second hand, you need to find out, if CoolerMaster sells a replacement cable set for your PSU model, if you don't have them already

Or you can have cables made, that fits your PSU. Cables from other manufacturers can sometimes be used, but when doing that, make sure to double check compatibility before installing them. Not just if they pshysically fit into the socket, but also pin-out

So in short.

I feel like this is exactly what we need.

It is second hand, only modular cables left on it are for hard drives.

This is very important, and would have been good information to include in your original post. Actually I think it is crucial information to add in your original post

If I guided you towards using some cable that could possibly fit, and I didn't know it wasn't an original cable, and you connected it and tried to fire up your computer, it might very well have destroyed everything connected to the PSU, in a worst case scenario. I would feel awful having guided you in that direction

THESE replacement cables should fit the model name you provided, but personally I would contact CoolerMaster and let their support tell you specifically what cables fit

The reason for contacting support is, that all CoolerMaster cables, doesn't fit all CoolerMaster PSU models. They are not all interchangeable between all PSU series, even if they are all CoolerMaster branded

It is essential to understand how important using correct cables for a PSU actually is.
Using wrong ones can lead to severe hardware damage if they are not compatible. Don't underestimate how wrong things can go with regards to PSUs

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
This is very important, and would have been good information to include in your original post. Actually I think it is crucial information to add in your original post

If I guided you towards using some cable that could possibly fit, and I didn't know it wasn't an original cable, and you connected it and tried to fire up your computer, it might very well have destroyed everything connected to the PSU, in a worst case scenario. I would feel awful having guided you in that direction

THESE replacement cables should fit the model name you provided, but personally I would contact CoolerMaster and let their support tell you specifically what cables fit

The reason for contacting support is, that all CoolerMaster cables, doesn't fit all CoolerMaster PSU models. They are not all interchangeable between all PSU series, even if they are all CoolerMaster branded

It is essential to understand how important using correct cables for a PSU actually is.
Using wrong ones can lead to severe hardware damage if they are not compatible. Don't underestimate how wrong things can go with regards to PSUs

Found this, but unfortunately Cooler Master doesn't accept my paying method and I have to find one somewhere else.

What you could do, is find the part numbers for the cables you need. Make sure, and double sure they are correct for your specific PSU.

Find a different (online)store that sells the cables with those part numbers, and buy the cables where your method of payment is accepted, and the store seems trustworthy

Sometimes a PSU is based on a model from a different manufacturer and re-labeled with another brand

For example I had a Corsair PSU, which was based on a PSU platform from Seasonic.

You can see how much info you can dig up on your CoolerMaster, and see if cables from sa different manufacturer is compatible

If you have even the least bit of doubt if the cables are compatible, you should not use them until compatibility is confirmed, for example by testing the cables with a multimeter, so you can match the pin-out layout

EDIT : One disadvantage with the flat types of connectors for some components on your PSU, is that it rules out a lot of cables.
But the advantage of this, is that the ones that does fit, are also more likely to be compatible - at least that's what I would think, I can't say for sure
But the PCI-e connectors found on your PSU, both 6-pin and 8-pin, are more common

The things I mention are potential and worst case scenerio.

The reason I mention them is that, if you mount a case fan the wrong way in the chassis, or forget connecting it, not a lot will happen, except air blowing the wrong way or no movement of air at all. You have plenty of time to identify the problem and turn the fan the other way round or plug the cable in.

If you use wrong cables for a PSU, things can go very wrong the instant you press the power button. And unfortunately, this includes a risk of permanently damaging other components at the same time.
The problem with incompatible cables, that it might send some voltages to the wrong pins orverloading things, burning them out or causing shorts

So it is worth getting the right cables, because you might not get a second chance, and it could be very expensive to buy new components, compared to ensuring you have the right cables

It could also be that it just doesn't power on - or maybe only the PSU is damaged. But it is the risk of what CAN happen - and sometimes does happen - that makes it so important to do it right the first time. You don't get much chance of going back and troubleshoot. Damage can happen instantly

Last edited:
Solution