[SOLVED] 8 pin pcie

jwcrellin

Reputable
Why does the 8 pin cable going to my graphics card have another 8 pin connector on the end? My 1070 only uses a single 8 pin. I'm thinking of getting the RTX 3080 as soon as it's available. Can I just plug both ends into the 12 pin power adapter?

Solution
Why does the 8 pin cable going to my graphics card have another 8 pin connector on the end?
Because your PSU has the ability to supply more power. If you don't need the extra pins, you just leave them loose.

I'm thinking of getting the RTX 3080 as soon as it's available. Can I just plug both ends into the 12 pin power adapter?
Yes. But depending on the PSU - you would plug in each 8 pin from 2 different cables though (so that all the power isn't using only one cable and is instead distributed across 2).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am saying that depending on your PSU, you'll want to put in the 2 8pins from 2 different cables as your cable will only be suitable for up to a certain wattage. Apologies if my original message...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why does the 8 pin cable going to my graphics card have another 8 pin connector on the end?
Because your PSU has the ability to supply more power. If you don't need the extra pins, you just leave them loose.

I'm thinking of getting the RTX 3080 as soon as it's available. Can I just plug both ends into the 12 pin power adapter?
Yes. But depending on the PSU - you would plug in each 8 pin from 2 different cables though (so that all the power isn't using only one cable and is instead distributed across 2).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am saying that depending on your PSU, you'll want to put in the 2 8pins from 2 different cables as your cable will only be suitable for up to a certain wattage. Apologies if my original message was unclear.

Last edited:
Solution

jwcrellin

Reputable
Even if it has 2 connectors at the end,I believe pcie spec for the 8 pin CABLE is 225W. The 3080 can draw over 350W. I think i'll use 2 separate cables. I don't want my epic gaming interrupted by black screens and the smell of wire insulation cooking.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Even if it has 2 connectors at the end,I believe pcie spec for the 8 pin CABLE is 225W. The 3080 can draw over 350W. I think i'll use 2 separate cables. I don't want my epic gaming interrupted by black screens and the smell of wire insulation cooking.

there is no set standard for the wiring of any cable. so every model may be different. you are trying to generalize something that can not be generalized. some of the junk brands are not made very well and may not even be able to handle what you are claiming, and the quality units would be designed to be able to handle the full load and some. you have to look at every model on a case by case examination to see how they are made and what they can do.

mis-information is not a good thing in the tech world. hopefully you learned something today :)

without knowing your specific psu model, there is no way we can even begin to verify its abilities and build quality

Reactions: PC Tailor

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Why does the 8 pin cable going to my graphics card have another 8 pin connector on the end? My 1070 only uses a single 8 pin. I'm thinking of getting the RTX 3080 as soon as it's available. Can I just plug both ends into the 12 pin power adapter?
You need to look in your power supply manual to see what they say the limit of each seperate cable is rated for.
My Seasonic 650 watt says 225 watts for each cable it also has 2 x 6+2 pin connectors on each cable. So for me using a 3080 card I would need to use both cables.

EDIT if your buying a aftermarket card it should have 8 pin connectors.

jwcrellin

Reputable
You need to look in your power supply manual to see what they say the limit of each seperate cable is rated for.
My Seasonic 650 watt says 225 watts for each cable it also has 2 x 6+2 pin connectors on each cable. So for me using a 3080 card I would need to use both cables.

EDIT if your buying a aftermarket card it should have 8 pin connectors.
Yeah, no. Not getting a founder's edition. Fell into that trap with the 1070 I've got now.