[SOLVED] 8 pin Processor Power Connector Adapter

thender21

Commendable
Apr 14, 2020
Hello,

I upgraded to this board:

MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 D-Sub DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450-A Pro Max) (B450APROMAX)

It has an 8 pin power socket by the processor and my PSU only has 4pin and 6pin, for now I plugged in only the 4 pin and it seems to work, but shouldn't I buy an adapter either from my 4pin to 8pin or from molex to 8pin? The PSU is 12 years old now.

Are the other four pins of the 8pin for something else or do they just spread the power consumption over more terminals?

Is there a good brand to buy or any random one off of amazon?

Sorry I'm having trouble finding a clear answer. Thanks for any help.

Solution
The EPS connector is commonly 4+4pin nowadays, which will accommodate either a 4pin or 8pin motherboard. Older psus, or very small wattage psus, were not designed with high 12v power usage as they used a lot more 5v+ and 3.3v. So they often came with just a 4pin EPS.

At first, the EPS was a supplemental power for the cpu, now it's a necessity, changes to motherboards and cpus to mostly 12v, and dropping the demands for 3.3v and 5.5v+.

At 12yrs old, whatever the wattage rating of the psu was new, figure it's approximately ½ to ¾ of that currently, at best. Back then, warranty period was 1yr to 3yrs for a psu, it's long past due but was definitely a good purchase at the time.

It's like you have a car with 400k+ miles on it. It's no...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The EPS connector is commonly 4+4pin nowadays, which will accommodate either a 4pin or 8pin motherboard. Older psus, or very small wattage psus, were not designed with high 12v power usage as they used a lot more 5v+ and 3.3v. So they often came with just a 4pin EPS.

At first, the EPS was a supplemental power for the cpu, now it's a necessity, changes to motherboards and cpus to mostly 12v, and dropping the demands for 3.3v and 5.5v+.

At 12yrs old, whatever the wattage rating of the psu was new, figure it's approximately ½ to ¾ of that currently, at best. Back then, warranty period was 1yr to 3yrs for a psu, it's long past due but was definitely a good purchase at the time.

It's like you have a car with 400k+ miles on it. It's no longer a question of 'if' something will break, it's entirely a question of 'when' it Will break.
Sorry, but time for an appropriate wattage psu, you'll need it.

Solution