[SOLVED] 8 pin SATA power connector on motherboard?

Nov 18, 2021
So I have this client that needs a replacement 8 pin SATA power cable. The odd part is, the SATA power connects to the motherboard instead of the power supply. This is an odd set-up to me, but nevertheless, I need to find a replacement cable. I’ve included some pictures - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks

The connector measures about 1.3mm in height and 0.6mm in width.

p.jpeg

p.png

p.png

p.png

Solution
This is common on many OEM systems. These connectors are also proprietary so the cables will be system specific. So we need the make and model of the system.

bignastyid

Titan
Well, looks like you'll have to buy one from Dell as I can't even find a part number for it. If you still have the original box it may be worth going through as according to the manual it should have come with the cable even if no 2.5" drives were ordered.

Nov 18, 2021
Well, looks like you'll have to buy one from Dell as I can't even find a part number for it. If you still have the original box it may be worth going through as according to the manual it should have come with the cable even if no 2.5" drives were ordered.
I’ll give them a call. Thanks for your help!

Nov 18, 2021
Update - I had to special order the cable from dell, the only way was over the phone. Cable was only $6, free shipping! It was the last SATA power cable they had in stock.

SkyNetRising, It looks like that connector is the right size, however, there are 3 missing pins. The motherboard has 8 pins total, which is what concerned me.
Dell was able to locate the part I was looking for; thanks to both of you for your help.

Nov 18, 2021
Not all connectors are fully populated, they are only carrying three voltages and two grounds, pretty typical.

PCIe 6-pin only requires 5 wires as an example. Two grounds, two 12V wires, and one sense wire.
Right, but if it only required 5 pins, would there still be a total of 8 pins on the motherboard?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Right, but if it only required 5 pins, would there still be a total of 8 pins on the motherboard?

Yes, it is likely that Dell didn't want to source another connector size. It is common in extremely large volume production to reduce the parts list, even if it means using a more expensive part. It simplifies logistics, assembly time, etc that can all be quantified into savings.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it is likely that Dell didn't want to source another connector size. It is common in extremely large volume production to reduce the parts list, even if it means using a more expensive part. It simplifies logistics, assembly time, etc that can all be quantified into savings.

Though not in this case, two 4-pin, one 6-pin, and one 8-pin.

Either way, SATA devices are low power, so a single wire for each of the three voltages is plenty.