Question 8 pin to 2x8 pins?

Aug 20, 2019
Graphic card: gtx580 directcu ll

Power supply: Bequiet Pp 630 w Bronze

Graphic card requires 2 x 8 pin

Power supply have 2 slots for 8 pin but i only have one 8 pin cable, and seems that i can't find another 8 pin cable to buy. (The guy ine the store told me that only manufacturer can deliver me another cable) which is impossible cus i am from Bosnia and Herzegovina. So the question is, "can i use adapter from single 8 ---> 2 x 8 pins" ?

Thanks in advance.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Power supply have 2 slots for 8 pin but i only have one 8 pin cable, and seems that i can't find another 8 pin cable to buy. (The guy ine the store told me that only manufacturer can deliver me another cable) which is impossible cus i am from Bosnia and Herzegovina. So the question is, "can i use adapter from single 8 ---> 2 x 8 pins" ?

Thanks in advance.

No! Never! Absolutely NOT!

An 8-pin connector can handle up to 150W. If a card has 2 x 8 pin connectors, that means it is expecting to be able to pull MORE than 150W (possibly up to 300W, depending on the card). The GTX 580 has a TDP of 244W. Using a 1x8-pin to 2x8-pin adapter is a fire waiting to happen - they shouldn't even be allowed to sell such things, in my opinion.

This is a recipe for disaster. At best, you will have instability. At worst, either it won't power up, or it will, and the PSU may be destroyed or possibly damage other components.

As for the cables - yeah, the guy in the store is right. Modular power supplies are all proprietary for their cables. What works in one modular PSU for the 8-pin will NOT be the same as for another modular PSU.

Reactions: IamZengi

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
No! Never! Absolutely NOT!

An 8-pin connector can handle up to 150W. If a card has 2 x 8 pin connectors, that means it is expecting to be able to pull MORE than 150W (possibly up to 300W, depending on the card). The GTX 580 has a TDP of 244W. Using a 1x8-pin to 2x8-pin adapter is a fire waiting to happen - they shouldn't even be allowed to sell such things, in my opinion.

If he is referring to the V connector supplied by Be Quiet then it is perfectly safe to use. The load is on the connector and not combined on the adapters wiring as you see on some of the EVGA versions that are looped off one of the adapters itself. If you take the supply apart you will find that the two 8 pin connectors are split from the same soldering points on the board.

You also have to take into consideration the gauge of wiring and the amount of power it can handle when you're doing your calculations.

Fundamentals of Electricity
Amps and Wire Gauge

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
I also tought it is a bad idea. And it isn't V type adapter it is some cheap one, (cant buy original one, ...no shipping to my country from amazon or ebay)

Any ideas how to solve this?

What's the new graphics card?

An maybe get a new PSU? I mean.. If that's the PP 650W, that's got to be.. what.... 7 or 8 years old? I think they were replaced by the L9 in 2016 or so.

Aug 20, 2019
...i also forget to mention; the cable that i own is original bequiet 8 pin on psu with 6+2 and 6 pin on the gpu end connectors. (one cable)..so another question is: "can i use 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and using that layout have stable and secure power supply"?

...i also forget to mention; the cable that i own is original bequiet 8 pin on psu with 6+2 and 6 pin on the gpu end connectors. (one cable)..so another question is: "can i use 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and using that layout have stable and secure power supply"?

That would be better... IF the graphics card works with one 6-pin and one 8-pin (some do, some don't). Just need to try it and see.

The week point isn't going to be the wires. It's the pins in the connectors. So the fewer adapters, etc. you use the better.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I also tought it is a bad idea. And it isn't V type adapter it is some cheap one, (cant buy original one, ...no shipping to my country from amazon or ebay)

Any ideas how to solve this?

1. Shipping from Amazon (US) and Ebay (US) can be done with a Shipping Forwarder at a markup. 😕 It's not massive on smaller items.
  2. Amazon EU will Ship to you provided you can actually find what you want.
  3. Bequiet is not a US company they are German/Poland based arm and target Europe, they might be able to find a way to ship to you provided you ask them directly.

I

Thanks in advance.

You need a new PSU, that is the bottom line.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A pin in a pcie connector is 5A rated, 60w. A 6+2 connector has 3x 12v pins, a 6pin connector has 2x(3x possible) . That's a total of 300w capacity in pins. The psu side of the cable is different, those pins can handle 9-11A each pin, so have plenty of space, a 8pin has 4x 12v, so @ 420-520w.

Use of a single short 6pin to 8pin adapter on the 6pin, in conjunction with the 6+2pin shouldn't be an issue as it's rated well above the demand.
Up to 360W can be chanelled down either of the two 12v pcie lines.

That means the 6pin does have the third 12v. So it's definitely do-able with the 6-8 adapter.

If you choose to take that route, however, standard accepted wisdom has 2 thoughts.
Rule #1. That if a psu does not have the actual connectors necessary for the job, it's not upto/designed/intended or even capable of that job.
Rule #2. Use of adapters is never a good idea, see Rule #1.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All new high-end cards require 6/6, 8, 6/8, 8/8. AMD has generally higher power requirements so usually uses more 8/8. Nvidia's lower power requirements mean it can get away with 6/8 for most of its cards, 8/8 only on the highest tier. AIB partners can and do change that at will.

Gtx 580 directcu requires 2x8 pin, (even tough it is an old gpu) , most of new high end cards require 2x8 pin power..

Actually, some do. :giggle:

GTX TITAN Z
RTX 2080 Ti F.E
RTX 2080 Ti
Radeon VII 16Gb
RX Vega 64 Liquid Ed
RX Vega 64
RX Vega 56
R9 Fury X
R9 Fury
HD6990
HD5970 4Gb 900/1200

Reading comprehension for the win. You missed my period.

I did not say "No graphics card has two 8-pin connectors".

I said, "No." (note the period) in response to the OP's post. I then said, "the graphics card HAS two 8-pin connectors". Emphasizing that while the card HAS two 8-pin connectors, that doesn't mean it NEEDS both 8-pin connectors and that he should at least try it with the 6 and 8-pin.

Last edited:
I've never seen a gpu that'll work without the full connection, although I'm sure there might be exceptions. Afaik the gpu is switched according to the sense pins, if it needs 8pin, it had better see the 2x sense populated or no joy.

When you have a 6 and 8-pin, I haven't seen a card that works with two 6-pins. You're correct. The card looks for the those extra ground wires. But I have yet to try with a card with two 8-pin.

Actually.. I take that back. I do recall trying with a Radeon card (forget which one) and it worked with one 6 and one 8.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Reading comprehension for the win. You missed my period.

I did not say "No graphics card has two 8-pin connectors".

I said, "No." (note the period) in response to the OP's post. I then said, "the graphics card HAS two 8-pin connectors". Emphasizing that while the card HAS two 8-pin connectors, that doesn't mean it NEEDS both 8-pin connectors and that he should at least try it with the 6 and 8-pin.
No. Graphics card HAS two 8-pin connectors. Have you already TRIED on 6-pin and one 8-pin to see if it works?
Poor-Grammer.jpg

All of these are going to mean the same thing.

No. graphics card has two 8-pin connectors
No, graphics card has two 8-pin connectors
No graphics card has two 8-pin connectors.

Did you mean

No, the graphics card has two 8-pin connectors.

If your going to be snarky and expect people to understand what you mean then learn more about the language because this isn't the first time you made little to no sense.

You also don't understand that a 6 pin won't power up an 8 pin connector unless you fill those extra two ground wires "4 and 8". All adapters supplied merely jump pins "5, 6 or 7" to 4 and 8 to complete the added power phases.

POWER REQUIREMENTS FOR GRAPHICS CARDS

Poor-Grammer.jpg

All of these are going to mean the same thing.

No. graphics card has two 8-pin connectors
No, graphics card has two 8-pin connectors
No graphics card has two 8-pin connectors.

Did you mean

No, the graphics card has two 8-pin connectors.

No.

He said it REQUIRES two 8-pin. What I'm saying it HAS two 8-pin, but do you really know it REQUIRES two 8-pin. The difference between "HAS" and "REQUIRES" is the two mean different things. It's like "Can I go to the bathroom". Of course you can, but "May you go to the bathroom?"

True, all an adapter does is jump the sense wire to ground. In most cases, all a 6+2-pin is is the +2 jumpered to ground. My point was to at least TRY IT with one 6-pin instead of assuming a janky ass adapter needs to be used. I know I've done it with a Radeon with dual 8's in the past (stupid mining rig experiment and I ran out of native PCIe cables). Maybe that worked because it was working as an x1 PCIe card. Not sure. But you don't think it's even worth a shot?

That said, I've never seen a graphics card with one 6-pin and one 8-pin work with two 6-pin connectors.