Question 8-pin to 6-pin PCI-e power cable pinouts for ANTEC TP-750 PSU

Aug 10, 2022
Hi,

I have an ANTEC TP-750 BLUE PSU bought several years ago. It powers a Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME mobo & a NVIDIA Quadra K600 graphics card.

I now want to replace the graphics card with a new graphics card (Gigabyte GV-N1656-OC-4GD-V2 GeForce GTX 1650 D6 OC 4G rev2.0 GDDR6).

I have an old 6-pin PCI-e to 8-pin power cable that I want to use to connect from the ANTEC PSU 8-pin socket to the 6-pin socket on the new graphics card.

Using a multimeter, I tested the pinout config of the 8-pin connector to see which pin maps to pins on the 6-pin PCI-e connector (see foto) below.

I am not sure if the pinouts on the 8-pin cable connector are correct or not. If there is someone very familiar with this & able to advise me - would appreciate help?

Foto of ANTEC TP-750 PSU rear 8-pin sockets:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nTGuh2Udz5bvixyQOKsgbYJtY_cR0a1s/view

Foto of 6-pin to 6-pin PCI-E power cable male plug connector ends:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1odNl_RZH3yaZuOdz9FKyIuVHx_BVeSWZ/view

Appreciate your help & advice - Thanks
sabotoz

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Where did you source this modular 6-pin PCIE cable? The pinouts are not going to match because modular PSUs don't use standardized number of ports or pinouts on the end that connects to the PSU. If it came with the PSU, it ought to work. If it didn't, it probably won't, and very bad things can happen.

In any case, I doubt I'd use anything this old with a GPU.

Aug 10, 2022
Where did you source this modular 6-pin PCIE cable? The pinouts are not going to match because modular PSUs don't use standardized number of ports or pinouts on the end that connects to the PSU. If it came with the PSU, it ought to work. If it didn't, it probably won't, and very bad things can happen.

In any case, I doubt I'd use anything this old with a GPU.
As it has been several years ago, My recollection is that the 6-pin to 8-pin cable came supplied with the ANTEC TP-750 PSU. But the strange pinout on the 8-pin connector made me gave me cause to think. Did U see the 2 fotos I attached?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As it has been several years ago, My recollection is that the 6-pin to 8-pin cable came supplied with the ANTEC TP-750 PSU. But the strange pinout on the 8-pin connector made me gave me cause to think. Did U see the 2 fotos I attached?

The pinouts on the PSU side are not standardized. Nor are even the number of pins.

If you know it came with the PSU, it ought to be OK. If you don't know it and it's from another PSU, it may fry your GPU.

And again, I wouldn't use this PSU in 2022 with a discrete GPU anyway.

Aug 10, 2022
The pinouts on the PSU side are not standardized. Nor are even the number of pins.

If you know it came with the PSU, it ought to be OK. If you don't know it and it's from another PSU, it may fry your GPU.

And again, I wouldn't use this PSU in 2022 with a discrete GPU anyway.
I have solved my own mystery empirically. I connected the 8-pin to 6-pin PCI-e cable to a 8-pin power output port of the Antec TP750 PSU. Then I used DMM to measure the voltages in the 6-pin connector. Pins 1, 2 & 3 are all common ground 0V. Pins 4, 5 & 6 are each +12.5V. So this means the cable is compliant & will correctly +12V power to a GPU card. So issue now closed.