8 pin top 6+2 pin question

lintrup

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
So I got my hands on a new GTX 1060 from Gigabyte for next to nothing. However when I went to install it I noticed something odd concerning the connections. So my old card (GTX 570) runs with 2x6 pin PCIe, but the new card requires 1x8 pin. So I have a 6+2 pin running from my PSU but on the PSU end the 8 pin connector only has 6 wires running out of it, being two GND wires missing. Is this normal on the PSU end, I figure the ground wires on the GPU end might just be wired into the other ground wires already there and perhaps the gauge has been upped.

Will I be fine connecting the 8 pin with two missing wires to the 6+2 into the GPU, this is the only PCIe cable apart from a 6 pin one that came with my PSU. Or should I look into a 2x6 pin to 8 pin or something like that?

My PSU is a: OCZ600MXSP

Thanks in advance

Solution
it's not important how it's wired on the PSU side. it can be even just 2 (12v+gnd). the card assume that 8 pin supply up to 150 watt (12.5A) - PCIe specs. PSU makers can use thicker wires so they don't need so many cables/wires/connectors on their side. if i remember correctly, the 8pin molex connector is rated for about 300watt with 16 gauge wires.
i have a single daisy chained cable with 2x 6+2 connectors on the card end and it worked perfectly fine. GTX 1060 can't pull even 200 watts, so no worries.
If you are talking about the connection on the power supply, look at the manual and make sure you are using the correct connection for PCIe power and also the right cord for the video card. If you were running the other card with your connection, using that same cable for the new card will be fine.

it's not important how it's wired on the PSU side. it can be even just 2 (12v+gnd). the card assume that 8 pin supply up to 150 watt (12.5A) - PCIe specs. PSU makers can use thicker wires so they don't need so many cables/wires/connectors on their side. if i remember correctly, the 8pin molex connector is rated for about 300watt with 16 gauge wires.
i have a single daisy chained cable with 2x 6+2 connectors on the card end and it worked perfectly fine. GTX 1060 can't pull even 200 watts, so no worries.

Solution