[SOLVED] 8 pin vs. 6 pin question from a confused mom

Nov 22, 2021
I bought an inexpensive gaming pc for my son last year, and there were some problems with the graphics card. They sent us a new one to switch them out, but the old one (AMD Raedon RX 570 - brand XFX) had 8 pin slots, and the replacement they sent us (AMD Raedon RX-570- brand Phantom Gaming) only has a slot for 6 pins. Our connector cord is the kind that has 6+2, so we just plugged the 6 pins in and left the two unplugged, and it seems to be working fine. But my questions are this:
  1. Is that in any way a safety issue?
  2. Will it be lesser quality performance, going from plugging in 8 pins to only 6?

Here's a link to our computer in case you need those specs to answer: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...570-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd/6430866.p?skuId=6430866

Thanks for any help you may be able to give. I'm obviously clueless about all this stuff!

Solution
The "+2" pins are electrical grounds. Just make sure they are tucked away from anything they might possibly short on. One way of doing so would be to zip-tie the loose end on the power cable itself so it cannot flop around.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I bought an inexpensive gaming pc for my son last year, and there were some problems with the graphics card. They sent us a new one to switch them out, but the old one (AMD Raedon RX 570 - brand XFX) had 8 pin slots, and the replacement they sent us (AMD Raedon RX-570- brand Phantom Gaming) only has a slot for 6 pins. Our connector cord is the kind that has 6+2, so we just plugged the 6 pins in and left the two unplugged, and it seems to be working fine. But my questions are this:
  1. Is that in any way a safety issue?
  2. Will it be lesser quality performance, going from plugging in 8 pins to only 6?
Here's a link to our computer in case you need those specs to answer: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...570-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd/6430866.p?skuId=6430866

Thanks for any help you may be able to give. I'm obviously clueless about all this stuff!
That is the right way to connect it and should give about the same performance.

Reactions: MistyR