[SOLVED] 8 port switch siggestions

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Ran eight Ethernet lines through my unwired house and I need a device to run from my router to reach all of these lines. Thinking an eight port switch would do the trick, but I haven't purchased a switch in years. Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
Fans? Wow. I'll start looking at 12 then. Sounds like these aren't real high priced hardware. Metal vs plastic is good info too. Don't really want to have a line going to a five and then a line going from that to another five. Big difference in price between a 12 and something bigger than that? Thanks guys.

I'd look for 12 or 16. Newer unmanaged models should be fanless and have the energy efficiency standard. If you know you aren't using a few the 8 port might work. The router is going to take up one spot.

This one is 39.99 with the coupon. 1Gbs port x 16 / 32Gbs total bandwidth
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B01AX8XHRQ
There is not a huge difference any more between brands they pretty much all use the same chip to do the switching and all run noblocking which means all ports run at maximum speed up and down all at the same time.

For 8 port switches I like TL-SG108 just because it has a metal case. You can save a dollar or two by getting other brands but these are on $20 and they were on sale for $15 during amazon prime day.

As soon as you need port #9 the price more than doubles. You could use a 8 port and a 5 port or 2 8 ports for less. The main difference is the limitation of only 1 gigbit between the 2 switches. When you buy a actual switch with 16 ports there is no limitation between the ports.

You can get 10/100 switches a bit cheaper but I would always go gigabit.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Fans? Wow. I'll start looking at 12 then. Sounds like these aren't real high priced hardware. Metal vs plastic is good info too. Don't really want to have a line going to a five and then a line going from that to another five. Big difference in price between a 12 and something bigger than that? Thanks guys.

I'd look for 12 or 16. Newer unmanaged models should be fanless and have the energy efficiency standard. If you know you aren't using a few the 8 port might work. The router is going to take up one spot.

This one is 39.99 with the coupon. 1Gbs port x 16 / 32Gbs total bandwidth
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B01AX8XHRQ

Last edited:
Reactions: axlrose
Solution

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I like that the d-link has double port rows. Looking into the differences between the two netgears. I haven't used a coupon on amazon before. What is the catch? What am I providing or signing up for to use the coupon?