[SOLVED] 8 thread CPU only showing 4 threads (i7 2600)

Sep 26, 2020
Hey, I recently got a i7 2600 and its supposedly has 8 threads and 4 cores. When I go too cpu z - it only shows 4 cores, and 4 threads.

Does anyone know why this is? Thanks for any responses. I can answer any questions.

My board: 0m5dcd inside an OptiPlex 390

boju

Titan
Ambassador
He's talking about boot tab in msconfig. Click on that and click advanced options. You're looking for number of processors. Untick if this box is ticked and reboot. Sometimes Windows can limit cpu cores after changing from a cpu with less.

Sep 26, 2020
He's talking about boot tab in msconfig. Click on that and click advanced options. You're looking for number of processors. Untick if this box is ticked and reboot. Sometimes Windows can limit cpu cores after changing from a cpu with less.
its not ticked, any other fixes??

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sep 26, 2020
Service manual suggests support up to i5 2400.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/...s/Optiplex-390-Technical-Guidebook-101311.pdf

Could be bios revision limitation if Hyperthreading setting isn't available. Could bios revision limit a cpu even though it's operating InvalidError?

Wondering if updating to A14 might do the trick,

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...O6KSDVRg96ZPHcU3L32yel6iRB75aPwd-2s59V2_D_BwE
i updated my bios to the latest, still says 4 cores and 4 threads. should i try too enable hyperthreading?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
should i try too enable hyperthreading?

Think you would have tried that first.. Have a look, if it's there, try enable it.

So did you update bios just now or previously? That was kinda quick if you did it just now. If you did just do it, and if Hyperthreading isn't available OR doesn't work, try reset CMOS. Remove the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes. Disconnect power and let sit for a bit before attempting to remove battery. Remember which side up battery goes back. This'll allow new firmware micro code to re-enter CMOS, just in case the Bios update hadn't fully updated CMOS.

Sep 26, 2020
Think you would have tried that first.. Have a look, if it's there, try enable it.

So did you update bios just now or previously? That was kinda quick if you did it just now. If you did just do it, and if Hyperthreading isn't available OR doesn't work, try reset CMOS. Remove the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes. Disconnect power and let sit for a bit before attempting to remove battery. Remember which side up battery goes back. This'll allow new firmware micro code to re-enter CMOS, just in case the Bios update hadn't fully updated CMOS.
Enabled multithreading worked. Thank you so much for taking your time too help me! God bless.