8 year old has put FOR MY PC TO RUN MY OCULUS on his bloody Santa List

Dec 7, 2018
He got it for his birthday this year, we didnt check spec but seemed to limp along fine, have had to replace some bits since and now very much doesnt. Any help on what to buy and change would be really appreciated this is what were working with currently

Motherboard: MSI A88X-G45-GAMING-ACLHD A88X AMD ATX Motherboard
Cpu ? Radeon a6-7400k
Graphics card Radeon rx580
memory 16 gb ram
Ive been reading up online and it seems like replacing the cpu when the motherboards using the old fm2+ connection is pretty redundant ?
So are we best off getting a new motherboard and cpu ? Wtf is a gpu do i need that ? We bought this computer off my other halfs brother and if im honest ive no idea what im doing. Thanks

( Just adding ram size for myself so can see if its compatible with new motherboard 65536 MB )

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A GPU (Graphics processing unit) is a graphics card or video card, they mean the same thing. The RX 580 is the GPU.

That CPU is likely holding back the GPU, not allowing it to perform at it's full potential, this is often called a bottleneck. To run games on the oculus somewhat well the CPU, motherboard, and RAM will need to be upgraded to either a modern intel platform or AMD ryzen. Thats basically replacing the entire PC other than the power supply, GPU, and case.

What are you looking to spend on this upgrade? Are you willing to do it yourself? I can recommend a CPU, motherboard, and RAM if you want need a budget for this first however.

Dec 7, 2018
Im happy to spend what i need to get this sorted, would rather under £500, happy to do it myself ( im quite good with a youtube video for guidance )
Thanks for the speedy replies ! I cant get just a new cpu can i because the best fm2 one wouldnt be any good for Oculus and if i ever wanted to upgrade again id have to buy the new motherboard anyway ? Will the old ram fit a new motherboard ?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Here's the parts for the upgrade.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $389.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 13:03 EST-0500

With this you'll be good to go with no need for future upgrades for a long time.

However, just in case, what power supply does he have? Because if it's low quality, upgrading that would be necessary as well.
Last thing you want is a low quality power supply going tits up on you and taking other components with it

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $389.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 13:03 EST-0500

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would also keep your current GPU as it will be just fine.. and get a new MOBO, CPU, and RAM.. I would suggest something like a AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with 3000+ Mhz Ram. as that CPU you have now is slow. and no your current ram will not work as its DDR3 ram.. the new systems need DDR4

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, you're probably topped out at what that motherboard will achieve. I don't know that swapping out an A6-7400K with an Athlon X4 870/880 would give enough of a performance boost to justify the cost.

Just so you know, the A6-7400K is a CPU. The manufacturer, AMD, has integrated graphic capabilities onto the processor and they call it an APU (CPU+graphics). Since you have an RX580 Graphics card installed, the integrated graphics are pretty much wasted.

As I said, it'd unfortunate, but for a significant (read, worth the cost) upgrade, you're probably looking at a new core system upgrade (CPU/Motherboard/RAM). Minimum cost, around $300. If you're not willing to spend that much, maybe an SSD?

-Wolf sends

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I added in a power supply in the of chance the one you have isn't good.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£145.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£94.75 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£116.39 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £437.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 18:11 GMT+0000

The A series CPUs (that use fm2) from AMD never really had enough power for games. Fine for email and web and stuff, but not for gaming.

The newest CPUs go have switched to a new format of memory called DDR4 and you have DDR3, so you would be looking at new memory.

Any of the Ryzen 5 or 7 CPUs would be fine.

Most of the Intel 5 or 7 CPUs in 6000,7000, or 8000 series would work great too (there are some low power versions I would avoid).

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
in regards to the the CPU and motherboard.
With AM4 platform (the newest) you can upgrade the CPU from a 2000 series Ryzen to a 3000 series Ryzen no problem after a BIOS update in the future when it's time to upgrade again.
Chances are though, 4000 series Ryzen (when that eventually comes out) will also be on the AM4 platform so upgrading to that would be an option as well if it does end up supporting AM4. Which would make upgrading as simple as updating the BIOS and just popping in the new CPU.

Dec 7, 2018
We do currently have a 256 ssd and 1tb harddrive, think windows boots from the ssd.

Im thinking maybe nick the graphics card from this and replace ( or would this still work without it as the apu i have has a built in graphics card)

And start all over for the boychild just keeping this Graphics card. Itd be handy to have two pcs in the house and if im replacing most of this one might as well start again perhaps. Thanks for all your help i better get browsing !

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would do this:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jTs3mq

AND IF you do not have a good power supply (and a large case.. then it would need to be added / changed a little) and if you can afford to spend the extra / want the faster or plan to also stream while playing games get the Ryzen 7 2700 or better. IF you do have a small case then I would probably get this for the motherboard https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4 but if you can fit a full sized motherboard get the bigger one.

Edit: OR tell your kiddo that Santa is not real.. I know when I found out as a kid Santa was just a LIE I was SO pissed and disappointed and it also for me it for a while hurt my trust in my parents. I have a BUNCH of kiddos myself now and have never lied to them about that.. though they know that some people (and other family) do still tell their kids that Santa is real... though still your current PC sounds like its pretty slow.. Nice GPU.. but slow for the rest of the system :)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
For a complete build without GPU

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£145.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£94.75 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£116.39 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£36.95 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.80 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £571.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 18:33 GMT+0000

Dec 7, 2018
Ah its less about Santa with this one, our little guys autistic, hasnt ever believed in Santa, the tooth fairy, god etc and never asks for anything so its more parent guilt ! He wrote his list when everyone else wrote theirs and it just reads For Christmas id like my computer to run my vr headset, or if not a mcdonalds. He got the Oculus as a Christmas/birthday/never wanting a magazine or little treat when were out. So if we sort this then itll see him through for a while :) Its such a minefield ! Got some idea of whats needed now though thanks :)

Wolfshadw

Titan

If budget allows, then yes. Use the motherboard/APU/RAM for your system and the graphics card and SSD for the basis of the kid's new system.

Recommendations are budget dependent.

-Wolf sends

Dec 7, 2018
Would love some 3-500 recs not inc ram which i think iv got sorted via ebay