[SOLVED] 8 years old Seagate Barracuda, 42°, Good condition

Sagar_20

Distinguished
What do you think about this drive? Crystal disk info shows good condition, so there is nothing to worry about it dying anytime soon?

c-d-info-10-jun-19.png

Solution
What do you think about this drive? Crystal disk info shows good condition, so there is nothing to worry about it dying anytime soon?

c-d-info-10-jun-19.png
Looks good although that start count looks like computer is set to sleep a lot or restarted a lot. Starting up puts some more extra strain on it but on the other hand any device can fail at any time without a warning so a full backup is always advisable.

c-d-info-10-jun-19.png
Looks good although that start count looks like computer is set to sleep a lot or restarted a lot. Starting up puts some more extra strain on it but on the other hand any device can fail at any time without a warning so a full backup is always advisable.

Reactions: MTison
Solution

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Not much slept but indeed restarted a lot. I prefer to hibernate over sleep. Yep, start up items take a considerable time before the pc is ready to use, but when i hibernate then within 40 sec everything is loaded successfully.

Back is important, no doubt about that.
I have a wd my passport ultra for that purpose.

Jun 1, 2019
If there are problems with it, you'd see more than enough errors entered into the System event log to warn you of gradual deterioration. Unlike SSDs, hard disks rarely just die suddenly.

SSDs are so cheap nowadays, why don't you just ad one, 120 - 240GB just for OS and most important programs and leave HDD for data. Blazing fast start, no problems with sleep and hibernate (don't even need them). Everything else is speedup too. Don't know your location but 120GB SSD could be found for 20 bucks or less.

Jun 1, 2019
Unless of course you very much need it to NOT die suddenly as you have no backups, which guarantees beyond all certainty that an instant death is what will occur. :)
Oh yes if the data is critical, absolutely must backup regardless of drive condition to another drive/location. For my work computer all system and data drives are backed up daily. Whenever one of my disks eventually dies off, its a simple (albeit long) matter of restorating disk/partition image back to new disk and back to work again.

I recommend TS Sagar_20 to do likewise if the data is valuable to him.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
I have one in my laptop and currently saving up for a 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo, though it might not be worth it because of SATA-2 limit but random read write should still be good i guess. If i had waited 1 year more, i'd most probably have SATA-3 support.