80 plus or non 80 plus?

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Hi, guys! This is my very first post here in Tom'sHardware.

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong sub forum; please direct me to the correct section, just in case if I am.

I'm a little bit lost here. I've recently upgraded my computer from an Athlon ii 170u to an A8 6600K + new motherboard and 4GB of ram. My computer is also using an HD 5570 GPU given by my friend a few months back. So far, everything's running nice and good.

My question comes from the power supply I'm using. At the moment, my PSU is a 220w mini-ITX LITEON PSU that I borrowed from my previous computer with the Athlon 170u chip. I'm thinking about upgrading to a slightly more capable PSU (300w - 500w) to further expand my GPU upgrade options.

Now, the main question is: should I invest some money into getting an 80 plus certified PSU (regardless of efficiency level), or am I better with a non 80 PLUS?

Here are a few more conditions in order to give you guys a slightly more detailed, but brief explanation of my current situation:
-Computer runs for 5-6hrs a day (about 10hrs on weekends (max)).
-Approximately runs at 200w+ on a 220w PSU.
-Has 1 HDD, 1 DVD-RW reader, 1 HD 5570, A8-6600K, and an Asrock FM2-A58M-HD+ motherboard.
-2 DDR3 sticks (2gb 1333Mhz and 4gb 1600Mhz (totalling 6gb))
-Also, I live here in NZ. Component prices are slightly higher than US and AUS.

If I decide to stick with an 80 Plus Certified, would I save slightly more (while still retaining the same setup)?

Another question:
What are some reputable, and quality build PSU brands?

Thank you guys for your time.

Solution
i don't recommend cx power supplies usually , because they're made of cheap capacitors , but for the build you currently have it should be enough

Saberus

Distinguished
80 Plus certified just means it's at least 80% efficient. The real caveat is how they measure the wattage, and how clean the power is on the output.

Read the reviews for whatever PSU you look at, cheap PSUs will usually report their PEAK power output, something they can't sustain for long without damage. Good PSUs from reputable manufacturers will report their MEAN output, which can be supplied for the life of the PSU without harm.

Also, inexpensive =/= cheap. The power supply above is inexpensive, but it is a good PSU.

Scampi

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Yeah, 80+ bronze isn't a bullet proof vest, they're are crap bronze, silver & gold PSU's out there, so very much, check a few professional reviews before clicking that buy button & handing over your hard earned cash. Some good brands:

Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, XFX, Silverstone, EVGA etc... feel free to come back & ask advice if you have a few choices & still unsure.

You really shouldn't consider any unit that can't do 80+ in this day and age, that means it is running a really old, low efficiency platform, likely with subpar components. While 80+ platinum doesn't ensure a PSU is made with high quality components, low quality components and a crap design will ensure a unit never makes 80+; just because its 80+ doesn't mean its great, but if they can't hit 80+ its probably crap.

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Alright, I'm going to stick with 80 PLUS :D
From what I've learned (while lurking in the forums), XFX, Corsair, SeaSonic and Antec are a few of the top PSU brands; which of these brands have good price to performance (as in safety, and stability) ratio? And which series are best bang for the buck?

Thanks again.

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014

That power supply would run nicely on my computer, but unfortunately it's not available here, in NZ :(
I've also been looking at other power supplies like Corsair VS550 550W PSU, which is marked Standard 80 PLUS. The Corsair CX430M or CX500M (80+ bronze) appeals to me as well. I'm still in the process of deciding what/which PSU I should choose that is best value, whilst comparing different reviews about certain power supplies.

Thanks again.

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014

Is there a source that you could, perhaps link here?

Thanks again

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll go with the Corsair CX500 500W 80+ Bronze PSU; I'm not going to be overclocking much, therefore this PSU should suit my build fine. Thank you guys!