[SOLVED] $800-$1000 Gaming PC?

Aug 31, 2019
My friend is planning on making a computer build for gaming and editing and he was wondering if I could make a build for him. So, I'm here to ask what you guys think of this build?

Build

Solution
Let's see, first of all are you planning to buy all this outright at once or over a period of time? Are you planning to overclock? What resolution are you planning to game on? Most importantly...what style of build you going after? White/Black, pure white, not caring? It's roughly $2,000 so I would assume you have a style in mind to show off. Here's my list of what I think:

CPU/Cooler: Solid choice's. Remember you get the stealth cooler along with it so depends highly if you want to overclock it and by how much to justify another CPU cooler. A third party cooler is always however nice for lower temps depending on what you get. I also found the CPU cheaper on Amazon for $194, that should save you a chunk...
Sep 3, 2019
Would rather go with a Samsung SSD or EVO m.2 at 500gb, roughly $100, and a WD Blue storage 2tb for $60. Works always for me. The case is also good, but airflow is difficult. I myself own a P400s and it's very similar and restrictive in terms of airflow and upgrade potential. You can find better cases.

Aug 31, 2019
Would rather go with a Samsung SSD or EVO m.2 at 500gb, roughly $100, and a WD Blue storage 2tb for $60. Works always for me. The case is also good, but airflow is difficult. I myself own a P400s and it's very similar and restrictive in terms of airflow and upgrade potential. You can find better cases.
Alright, I think the case is going to be alright for him because I don't think he is going to be playing too hard games that will cause temps to go up.

Out of curiosity what do you think of my build any places where I could save money? My Build

Sep 3, 2019
Let's see, first of all are you planning to buy all this outright at once or over a period of time? Are you planning to overclock? What resolution are you planning to game on? Most importantly...what style of build you going after? White/Black, pure white, not caring? It's roughly $2,000 so I would assume you have a style in mind to show off. Here's my list of what I think:

CPU/Cooler: Solid choice's. Remember you get the stealth cooler along with it so depends highly if you want to overclock it and by how much to justify another CPU cooler. A third party cooler is always however nice for lower temps depending on what you get. I also found the CPU cheaper on Amazon for $194, that should save you a chunk.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-36...ocessor&qid=1567978058&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr2

MOBO: I would personally get a white or semi white MOBO depending what your after. This board I'm not very familiar with so unsure how it will perform and reviews seem to be mixed. Looking up boards for you I would go with either of these boards unless your after more features. One white one black.
PS: Unsure how ryzan CPU's upgrade/downgrade so I would check to make sure these mobo's suit all your needs and are compatible with your chip set. From what I found it is, but double checking before confirming is a must.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C57Q1XH/ref=emc_b_5_t
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Str...oUjApGHM-gLPjw&slotNum=0&tag=consumerexper-20

RAM: Ram has come down a long way from the horrible cryto hell so any ram you choose is a solid pick so long as it's fast. We all know Ryzan CPU's love fast ram. I see no issues with your ram, but if you want white I found it on amazon for $80, corsair vengeance. Anything RGB and your paying roughly $150.

Storage: This is a massive "depends on your preference" sort of thing. I personally have a WD Blue 2tb you can buy right now for $60 and 2 m.2 SSD's attach to my motherboard at $100 a pop. One Evo 970, the other WD black gaming edition. If you decide to buy the CPU on amazon and no cooler your saving enough to get both storage systems. Typically my gaming system fills both 500gb m.2's fast, which is why one m.2 at 500gb and one 2tb HDD is a solid choice for most people. Or at the very least have another storage option planned for the future if your serious about gaming, which this list assumes you will be. My storage links to look at, but up to your preference again.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-...=M.2&qid=1567979206&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-...567979358&s=electronics&tag=spyonsite-20&th=1

Video Card/Power Supply: Heard this card is a solid choice and so is the power supply. Shocked you have this placed for over $750 considering where I am it's much cheaper, roughly around $450. I would check for prices on the AMD Radeon RX 5700 (8gb) which has prices under $350 here, but is missing ray tracing. It really depends on what your willing to spend, but for that much money I would make sure it has all the bells and wistles I can get my hands on for a few solid years. Below is a SPR RX 5700 XT review and suggestions.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-amd-navi-review,6276.html

Case: This case has gotten good reviews for a reason, I would stick with it. However prices vary, it can be on sale for less than $100 on holidays.

Fans: It's your opinion, but I would opt for LL fans over these as they are quiet and amazing looking. Same price where I am, but it does vary and goes on sale constantly, 2 pack or 3 pack 120 fans.

WNA: Your choice, I personally never found the need for one of these. I use a simple USB Wi-Fi adapter for controllers or a WIFI connection.

Hope I covered everything. I only know so much about the AMD side of things so take everything here with your own prices, experiences and a grain of salt. So far the system would be to me a white/black/red build based on all this. Add an extra $30 and even could get some fancy extension cables colored red to help accent. If that's your sorta thing.

Reactions: igShattered
Solution
Aug 31, 2019

CPU/Cooler: Solid choice's. Remember you get the stealth cooler along with it so depends highly if you want to overclock it and by how much to justify another CPU cooler. A third party cooler is always however nice for lower temps depending on what you get. I also found the CPU cheaper on Amazon for $194, that should save you a chunk.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-36...ocessor&qid=1567978058&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr2

MOBO: I would personally get a white or semi white MOBO depending what your after. This board I'm not very familiar with so unsure how it will perform and reviews seem to be mixed. Looking up boards for you I would go with either of these boards unless your after more features. One white one black.
PS: Unsure how ryzan CPU's upgrade/downgrade so I would check to make sure these mobo's suit all your needs and are compatible with your chip set. From what I found it is, but double checking before confirming is a must.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C57Q1XH/ref=emc_b_5_t
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Str...oUjApGHM-gLPjw&slotNum=0&tag=consumerexper-20

RAM: Ram has come down a long way from the horrible cryto hell so any ram you choose is a solid pick so long as it's fast. We all know Ryzan CPU's love fast ram. I see no issues with your ram, but if you want white I found it on amazon for $80, corsair vengeance. Anything RGB and your paying roughly $150.

Storage: This is a massive "depends on your preference" sort of thing. I personally have a WD Blue 2tb you can buy right now for $60 and 2 m.2 SSD's attach to my motherboard at $100 a pop. One Evo 970, the other WD black gaming edition. If you decide to buy the CPU on amazon and no cooler your saving enough to get both storage systems. Typically my gaming system fills both 500gb m.2's fast, which is why one m.2 at 500gb and one 2tb HDD is a solid choice for most people. Or at the very least have another storage option planned for the future if your serious about gaming, which this list assumes you will be. My storage links to look at, but up to your preference again.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-...=M.2&qid=1567979206&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-...567979358&s=electronics&tag=spyonsite-20&th=1

Video Card/Power Supply: Heard this card is a solid choice and so is the power supply. Shocked you have this placed for over $750 considering where I am it's much cheaper, roughly around $450. I would check for prices on the AMD Radeon RX 5700 (8gb) which has prices under $350 here, but is missing ray tracing. It really depends on what your willing to spend, but for that much money I would make sure it has all the bells and wistles I can get my hands on for a few solid years. Below is a SPR RX 5700 XT review and suggestions.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-amd-navi-review,6276.html

Case: This case has gotten good reviews for a reason, I would stick with it. However prices vary, it can be on sale for less than $100 on holidays.

Fans: It's your opinion, but I would opt for LL fans over these as they are quiet and amazing looking. Same price where I am, but it does vary and goes on sale constantly, 2 pack or 3 pack 120 fans.

WNA: Your choice, I personally never found the need for one of these. I use a simple USB Wi-Fi adapter for controllers or a WIFI connection.

Hope I covered everything. I only know so much about the AMD side of things so take everything here with your own prices, experiences and a grain of salt. So far the system would be to me a white/black/red build based on all this. Add an extra $30 and even could get some fancy extension cables colored red to help accent. If that's your sorta thing.
  1. It depends on the prices at the time I buy the parts but hopefully all at once
  2. Yes I am planning to overclock
  3. 1080p
  4. White/Black
Also would it save money to buy the rx 590 over the 5700xt since I'm probably gonna play 1080p.

My friend is planning on making a computer build for gaming and editing and he was wondering if I could make a build for him. So, I'm here to ask what you guys think of this build?

Build
This should be better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | $178.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard | ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard | $157.50 @ Vuugo
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $85.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage | Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $74.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage | Western Digital RE 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $47.56 @ Amazon Canada
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 8 GB GAMING 8G Video Card | $279.63 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Case | Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case | $61.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply | SeaSonic S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $73.75 @ Vuugo
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $990.40
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $960.40
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 03:41 EDT-0400 |

I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($177.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($100.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB510L ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.00 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear A6210-100PAS USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($61.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1012.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 17:43 EDT-0400

I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($177.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($100.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB510L ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.00 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear A6210-100PAS USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($61.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1012.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 17:43 EDT-0400
I would choose a board with embedded wifi module like the one in my build. The embedded headers are usually better quality than the aft ones. And the whole thing is cheaper together.
Just a suggestion.

I would choose a board with embedded wifi module like the one in my build. The embedded headers are usually better quality than the aft ones. And the whole thing is cheaper together.
Just a suggestion.
But you did that at the cost of a quality PSU. Those Seasonic PSU's are terrible, plus the one the op added was his preference so i kept it in the build. Just a suggestion. Sorry if I got a little too spicy.

But you did that at the cost of a quality PSU. Those Seasonic PSU's are terrible, plus the one the op added was his preference so i kept it in the build. Just a suggestion. Sorry if I got a little too spicy.
Maybe you need to revisit your knowledge. Here is the 520w review...
https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-520-w-power-supply-review/10/
"Seasonic S12II Bronze 520 W is an excellent power supply. It passed with flying colors in our tests: efficiency between 82.4% and 86.5%, voltages closer to their nominal voltages than required (3% voltage regulation instead of the standard 5%) and ultra-low noise and ripple levels. Plus we could pull up to 588 W from it with efficiency still at 81.7%. "

The Seasonic S12II is the only Seasonic PSU's I have had issues with in builds. I don't trust the Seasonic name on them. I had one that couldn't keep up with a 300w system and would cause shutdowns, and another that was fine for 4 months then BOOM killed an entire build that i built for a friend.

Even EVGA and Corsair has faulty units from time to time. Its not about a particular unit but the success or failure of the mass ratio of that model which counts. Happened to you doesnt mean it happens to everyone with that model. The mass ratio of that model is pretty successful and being so old that alone beats some newer units considered premium.
I have build so many budget machines with that unit and i never had any complaints or issues including one of mine.

Even EVGA and Corsair has faulty units from time to time. Its not about a particular unit but the success or failure of the mass ratio of that model which counts. Happened to you doesnt mean it happens to everyone with that model. The mass ratio of that model is pretty successful and being so old that alone beats some newer units considered premium.
I have build so many budget machines with that unit and i never had any complaints or issues including one of mine.
I understand that, however, if you had my experiences could you in good faith recommend such a PSU?

Your personal experience doesnt represent the brand. Mass experience does.
You are correct. My personal experience dictates my opinion and my opinion is what I am giving. My opinion will only change from experience and since I will no longer enable myself to experience such a PSU again it won't change. Also, nobody has quantified their opinion of the failure rates or longevity beyond their own personal experience with the PSU in question either.

You are correct. My personal experience dictates my opinion and my opinion is what I am giving. My opinion will only change from experience and since I will no longer enable myself to experience such a PSU again it won't change. Also, nobody has quantified their opinion of the failure rates or longevity beyond their own personal experience with the PSU in question either.
There is also that thing called "independent review", which is basically the logical yardstick for every buyer. That usually quantifies or gives an esteemed estimation of those rates.

I think dont reinvent the wheel.
A LOT to pick from made by really smart guys, and if you want, recreate completed machine someone posted.
It helps to avoid magic problems that you would not think about in first place.
(old example I bought scythe cross cooler and I had less than 1 cm for screws, had to take PSU out for access and secure it in place)