[SOLVED] 800+ download but 3-5 upload speed. Throttled? Need fix.

Mar 17, 2019
Hello everyone, ever since I moved here I've always been having weird internet problems, I normally stream to twitch so having a consistent upload speed is very important to me. I pay for 1GB down and 35 UP although, realistically I'll get about 800 down and 20 up, every now and then though, I'll go through a month phase where my upload speeds tank and I get some packet loss resulting in me not being able to stream. I had 3 techs come out within the same week and all of them test the modem speeds and they're 800+ down and 25+ up, as soon as they leave, my upload goes back down as if it's being throttled. I currently use the modem Cox has provided me and I am hardwired to my PC. I have tested different modem/routers that provide my speeds and Cat6 ethernet cables and still no fix, is this problem related on my end, or my ISP or is there a way I can get a better idea? If the techs can't find the problem, what is the problem? Any suggestions would be awesome and much appreciated, thank you!

Solution
If you have a second pc load iperf on the machines. This is a old line mode command that test network. I suspect you will get 900+mbps in both directions. This program is very simplistic it will only test the network and the network drivers. It does not use disks or file systems etc so it is not affected by much in the machine.

If this works it would be much more likely there is some software issue in your machine.

You could also try simple file sharing and copy a large file to the other machine. You can watch the resource monitor to get the transfer rates. This is has more things that can affect the rates but it also may give you a clue.
Mar 17, 2019
I do not know your system is probably a lot newer than my old rig but I have had similar problem to you had plenty of pci express slots so bought a TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express they are not expensive 15dollars or about 10-15 quid and this solved all my problems and was so easy might help probably worth a shot.

https://thedoublecheck.co/network-cards/
Just ordered it, should come in later today, I'll update you on that fix!

If you have a second pc load iperf on the machines. This is a old line mode command that test network. I suspect you will get 900+mbps in both directions. This program is very simplistic it will only test the network and the network drivers. It does not use disks or file systems etc so it is not affected by much in the machine.

If this works it would be much more likely there is some software issue in your machine.

You could also try simple file sharing and copy a large file to the other machine. You can watch the resource monitor to get the transfer rates. This is has more things that can affect the rates but it also may give you a clue.

Solution
I have seen this with isps before as well. They are horrible at finding intermittent problems like this.

What I would suggest is that when you are having problems, reboot with a linux live cd and see if the problems with your upload are still there. I would check using dslreports.com/speedtest and the freeola line test (not their speed test) for any packet loss or issues. If you find issues both on windows and linux, it is your service, but getting them to find it may take months or never. At that point your best bet will be to switch providers.