800 Million Android Phones to be Active by December

Status
Not open for further replies.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
competition is a good thing but windows phone and bb don't really compel me to switch from android maybe with steady updates... windows doesnt have all the apps and bb is an android emulator... why dont i just get the real deal

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]I'd like to see more windows phone and blackberries.[/citation]
I think you'll see Windows phones as soon as they can run Crysis. Otherwise, there's no reason to get a Windows phone right now. For Windows phones to take off, they need to do just as much as iPhones and Android phones can do. There aren't nearly as many apps available for them, yet. I bet that'll change when Windows 9 comes out...just my guess.

G

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I think you'll see Windows phones as soon as they can run Crysis. Otherwise, there's no reason to get a Windows phone right now. For Windows phones to take off, they need to do just as much as iPhones and Android phones can do. There aren't nearly as many apps available for them, yet. I bet that'll change when Windows 9 comes out...just my guess.[/citation]

The windows phone is the smoothest OS ever, ive been using it for a month now, it can do everything an iPhone and any android can do and more, and has every app ive ever needed for it, the number of apps doesnt matter, its the quality, and especially with the Nokia apps, Windows Phone store wins

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I think you'll see Windows phones as soon as they can run Crysis. Otherwise, there's no reason to get a Windows phone right now. For Windows phones to take off, they need to do just as much as iPhones and Android phones can do. There aren't nearly as many apps available for them, yet. I bet that'll change when Windows 9 comes out...just my guess.[/citation]
On running Crysis (and games in general), I would rather see the Google glass project and Virtual Reality gaming with that power.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Windows Phone does not have pull down notification bar.
iOS does, but it sucks.

I can't live without my notification bar anymore, it's the single most used feature I have on my SGS3 and Nexus 7. I was looking at Lumia 920. But no notification bar, no deal.

G

I can't believe how many people are willing to sacrifice their security & privacy for the sake of having a new toy. Don't they pay attention to those TOS one must agree to before they can load a new game or app? EVERY app seems to make you agree to let it have 100% access to settings, records. files. passwords etc. I will NOT use my android for anything other than gaming until there is far better security than what there isn't now. As for the rest of the sheep who're busy giving away all their financial data et all, they're getting what they deserve.

Steelseries

Honorable
May 3, 2012
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Windows Phone does not have pull down notification bar.iOS does, but it sucks.I can't live without my notification bar anymore, it's the single most used feature I have on my SGS3 and Nexus 7. I was looking at Lumia 920. But no notification bar, no deal.[/citation]

The iOS and ICS notification centers are the same
Relax the Apple hate for long enough to stay unbiased

[citation][nom]Logikal1[/nom]I can't believe how many people are willing to sacrifice their security & privacy for the sake of having a new toy. Don't they pay attention to those TOS one must agree to before they can load a new game or app? EVERY app seems to make you agree to let it have 100% access to settings, records. files. passwords etc. I will NOT use my android for anything other than gaming until there is far better security than what there isn't now. As for the rest of the sheep who're busy giving away all their financial data et all, they're getting what they deserve.[/citation]

Minecraft PE Android app permissions: Write to USB storage (saving game data needs this). Network access (multiplayer and updating features need this). Control vibration (vibrate on certain actions such as breaking a block, getting hit, etc.). Test access to protected storage (test for a type of USB storage not yet used in Android, may be used for a modding feature or sharing game data with other people and such things).

No unnecessary access to settings, records, files, passwords, etc.

Colornote (a notepad program) app permissions:same as above, but it also can run at system startup and can prevent the device from sleeping when in use.

No unnecessary access to settings, records, files, passwords, etc.

I could go on, but I think that my point is made. Any app requesting permission that it doesn't need for the job that you want to do is probably not an app that you should have unless there are no alternatives (not very common). Furthermore, iOS and other platforms aren't any better about this at all.

Also, since apps have to ask YOU to get permission for such things, I'd say that security is quite good since you are in control of what you allow your apps to do. If you find an app to be suspect due to requesting unnecessary permissions, then simply don't download that app. Anyone giving away their info and whatnot by not looking at the permissions of an app before downloading may deserve what they get, but that sort of situation is easily avoidable in the context of Android app permissions. Do iOS and other mobile OS competitors even tell you what their apps have permission to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.