~8000 DKK gaming PC

devroz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

1-2 weeks.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates

Around 8000 DKK(£1k, $1.5k ish) but if it doesn't make sense to go that high would prefer cost cutting and just building her a new PC in a year or so as I prefer getting incremental updates rather than skipping generations.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

World of Warcraft, Browsing, Photoshop.

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Keyboard, Mouse(unless something worth upgrading), Monitor, OS, Speakers, Disc Drive. Maybe Gpu(got 6870 and 460GTX already, may offload 6870).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)

Compumail.dk. No other choice. If you find it hard to use you can check ebuyer.com or newegg.com and I will check myself.

Country of Origin: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

Denmark

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

Sandybridge cpu and nvidia gpu.

I usually use Asus motherboards, but I am not dead set on them.

Full tower case would be preferable to me, but I think she would be happy with anything that looks sleek.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

Not allowed since I will not be there to troubleshoot issues...

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Not unless it makes total sense. Like 25% or more speed for same price.

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

1920x1080.

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

I would like a silent-ish PC. She is currently complaining about a fan making too much noise.

Hi. One thing i should say is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to go with AMD on a mid-high end gaming rig at the moment, Intel seems to reign supreme in that department at the moment. AMD may be useful if your photoshop use is a lot but i'm sure an i5 would more than suffice for minor to moderate use. Also, the HD 6870 should outperform a GTX 460 so i would probably use that and offload the 460.

Here is what i suggest at that budget for your needs:

(I will work in £ on www.aria.co.uk as i don't know any Danish sites.)

Intel Core i5-2400 - Good CPU which is capable for minor or moderate photoshop use and great for gaming. (Will easily outperform any current AMD CPU in games) Is also much cheaper than the i5-2500k which is only worthwhile if overclocking. £143.99

ASUS P8H61-M PRO (Or equivalent Biostar board) - H61 boards are most worthwhile because you don't want SLI/Crossfire or overclocking. This one in particular has USB 3.0 and SATA III, also lots of different video outputs if you ever need them. £65.99

2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz RAM - H61 only supports up to 1333Mhz but the upgrade to 1600Mhz is very slight. Corsair is also a good brand but there are other good ones. (OCZ, G.Skill, Mushkin to name a few.) £51.26

GTX 460 or HD 6870 - I think the HD 6870 would be better here but not by a lot so it's up to you. Either way i would keep one of these if i were you, just upgrade when you actually feel the need. £0

XFX XXX 650W Modular PSU - Probably more power than you actually need at the moment but good in case you do buy a better GPU. Otherwise i'm sure 500W would be fine. Also, modular PSU's are great for airflow.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Fast and cheap drive with plenty of storage, thats all there is to say there. £39.37

Fractal Design Define XL - A sleek, smart and quiet full tower case with more than enough cooling for this setup. £99.59

This comes to less than £500, that's probably more over there because Denmark tends to be very expensive but is shouldnt come to much more than half your budget. You could either just save the rest until you actually need it or buy a GPU and a SSD or something. If you decide to go that route, here are some more suggestions:

MSI GTX 570 1280MB - Powerful card and still has decent price/performance. £238.79

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB - One of the very fastest SSD's with plenty of space for a boot drive. £191.99

That brings you to around £900 which is pretty much the whole budget. One last thing i should say though, if you want a quiet PC i would research every part you plan to buy to make sure theyre all quiet because if just one part of the PC is loud, that equals a loud PC.

devroz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hey, thanks for the advice.

I will have to get an ssd as the whole new rig is because she wants an ssd and her current system doesn't support sata3.

One thing I am wondering about. Does photoshop not benefit enough from quick sync to make it worthwhile to get a Z68 Mobo?

I will also decide if it is worth the extra few pounds to get a 'K' cpu as adter a year or so I may be able to overclock.

You don't need SATA 3 for a SSD. Most SSD's don't actually fully saturate the SATA 2 slot yet. Even the ones that do often only show it in benchmarks. Also, you may be right about the quick sync. Most Z68 boards offer x8/x8 SLI too so GTX 460 SLI would be a good option. Lastly, yes i youre ever going to overclock then the 'k' models are definitely worth it. Here is a revised suggestion based on your last post:

i5-2500k ~£165
8GB Corsair XMS3/G.Skill RipjawsX etc. ~£50
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H or equivalent ~£100
GTX 460 (Already owned)
Another GTX 460 (Assuming 1GB) ~£120
XFX/Corsair/Antec 750W PSU ~£75
Spinpoint F3 1TB ~£40
Fractal Define XL ~£100
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ~£200

You should be able to get that setup for less than £900/7500DKK. Would be a great system too because that i5 will be ready to be overclocked when you need it and 2 460's perform around the same as a single 580.

devroz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Would you say a Vortex 3 120 GB would run well on sata 2?

Also, can't find that case on the site so would have to go with another.

Cases are Kabinet in Danish if you want to check.

Yeah i think a Vertex 3 on SATA II would run fine. There would probably be a slight improvement using it in SATA III but again, only slight. As for other quiet full tower cases, maybe try the NZXT Hush 2, Coolermaster Cosmos RC-1000 or Antec P193.

Which Danish site are you using?

devroz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
It is compumail.dk

If the ssd won't benefit from sata3 enough to warrant a new build then I will get a HSF for her Phenom II x2 and unlock it to x4.

Any idea on a silent/quiet HSF?

Depends on the budget. The Noctua NH-D14 gives top of the line cooling and is pretty quiet, on the downside it is also massive and fairly expensive. As for cheaper quiet coolers, try some Zalman ones maybe. Theyre usually geared toward low noise.