$800USD gaming pc (South Africa)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: Withing 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: <R11000 (about $800 USD)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, browsing, very little coding, rendering, potential streaming definitely not priority

Parts Not Required: Optical Drive, Harddrives, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

Case: Coolermaster Haf X

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.wootware.co.za ; www.Evetech.co.za ; www.landmarkpc.co.za www.takealot.com

Parts Preferences: Really don't care about brands. Just want the best for my price range.

Overclocking: Maybe, within safety, Very light.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Since I live in South Africa product prcing are somewhat diffrent than some other countries.

I have the following choices so far.

Wootware:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: GALAX - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB EX OC Video Card

Evetech: (They sell what they call upgrade bundles which includes CPU, RAM and Mobo)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC OVERCLOCKED Edition 6GB (Should get stock soon)

I don't mind buying from different shops.

If think of anything else I would edit this post.

Thank you so much in advance. I am by no means a hardware expert so would love to know what the experts have to say.

Solution
Nice build options and good advice on the PSU's.

See the memory QVL PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard my advice would be to pick a kit that is marked as SS in the SS/DS column as Ryzen performs better with single sided modules. Tons of options on the QVL for SS kits Im sure many of the 2400 speed kits are in your budget just not sure which ones you can come by.

If your budget was higher I would say look into the memory kits built using Samsung B-die integrated circuits but these don't come cheap.

Lutfij

Titan
I'm based in Asia but I would forgive you for thinking we all hail from the 'States since a majority of our traffic comes and goes from there.

I might do some YouTube videos now and then and MIGHT try streaming if my internet improves
If out of a 100%, 80% of it this system's resources are going towards gaming then you're fine by getting the 8GB ram kit(regardless of frequency) and a Quad core but if you're going to draw somewhat of a 50-50 breakdown on productivity, towards your video production(since 1080p video uploads are more of a norm on YouTube) then I stand by my 1600x/i5 build which may be higher than your budget but as I've come to learn from clients, builds and myself, the more opportunities given via a system the more potential is tapped into. The same can be said about internet bandwidth(and it's usage), when internet rates were higher, the need for 1080p video consumption was lower but as rates dropped, more and more people understood the beauty with higher resolution video/content and that lead to a lot of people saving money to buy larger displays and subsequently HD/UHD monitors.

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I'd even go as far as to say gaming would be 90%, and 10% the rest.

I might delay this build by one more week. I will keep an eye out for big savings on those sites and post the deals here.

Nice build options and good advice on the PSU's.

See the memory QVL PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard my advice would be to pick a kit that is marked as SS in the SS/DS column as Ryzen performs better with single sided modules. Tons of options on the QVL for SS kits Im sure many of the 2400 speed kits are in your budget just not sure which ones you can come by.

If your budget was higher I would say look into the memory kits built using Samsung B-die integrated circuits but these don't come cheap.

Solution