802.11 how do I change?

May 2, 2018
I wanna know how to change the 802.11? Mine says 802.11a/n/ac and I wanna change it to ac. But I can’t change it because there’s not an option to. I have a Technicolor WiFi.

Solution
I have not seen a router that you can turn on only "ac". There are some that let you disable support for the older b or g.

All the encoding methods used by 802.11n where incorporated into 802.11ac. Technically a router that has 802.11ac support is always running 802.11ac. So even if it uses one of the slower data encoding methods it is still called 802.11ac even though it is identical to 802.11n.

This is mostly a academic discussion, the router will always negotiate the fastest possible connect speeds that both the router and end device support. It really doesn't matter what you call this connection.

May 2, 2018
That's all depend on your Wi-Fi card. Is there support for 5 GHz or only 2.4 GHz. By the way, what your Wi-Fi card model? If you cannot change it to ac, it means your Wi-Fi card doesn't support 5 GHz band.

kanewolf

Titan

Not totally correct. Your WIFI card could support 5Ghz but only with the "n" standard. There is not a one-to-one correlation between 5Ghz and "ac" compatibility.

You description sounds like the router you have will negotiate the type of connection on the 5Ghz band. It might be "a" or "n" or "ac", depending on the device trying to connect.

I have not seen a router that you can turn on only "ac". There are some that let you disable support for the older b or g.

All the encoding methods used by 802.11n where incorporated into 802.11ac. Technically a router that has 802.11ac support is always running 802.11ac. So even if it uses one of the slower data encoding methods it is still called 802.11ac even though it is identical to 802.11n.

This is mostly a academic discussion, the router will always negotiate the fastest possible connect speeds that both the router and end device support. It really doesn't matter what you call this connection.

Solution