802.11AC unable to connect.

AquaDash

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I recently purchased a desktop that runs an 802.11AC wireless adapter and I wasn't able to connect to my 802.11B/G router. Is there a way I am able to connect to the Internet on my current computer, because someone told me that 802.11AC was indeed backwards-compatible.

Solution
You'll have to connect to the router with an Ethernet or connect with a computer that actually works with the router right now to get to it's config. Like I said you should be able to get to it with 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 and the credentials are usually just admin and password, or admin admin.

edit:
Yes there should be a way to allow it to take older protocols, if you go to device manager > network adapters> your adapter > right click to properties > advanced(or the tab that gives you a list box of things to pick from), one of the items in the list box will give you the option of what protocol to allow. You might have to do so digging around, every adapter's driver is a little different than the next.

Christian Angelo

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
You might want to check your router config and make sure that it's not explicitly allowing only one protocol or the other, make sure it's on mixed mode. You can get to your router config by connecting to your default route (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1).

Make sure that your adapter is also allowing older protocols as well.

AquaDash

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Yeah, I made a slight mistake. I used to use another computer that had an 802.11B/G adapter and that connected to my router. Also, I am unable to log into my router.

Christian Angelo

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
You'll have to connect to the router with an Ethernet or connect with a computer that actually works with the router right now to get to it's config. Like I said you should be able to get to it with 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 and the credentials are usually just admin and password, or admin admin.

edit:
Yes there should be a way to allow it to take older protocols, if you go to device manager > network adapters> your adapter > right click to properties > advanced(or the tab that gives you a list box of things to pick from), one of the items in the list box will give you the option of what protocol to allow. You might have to do so digging around, every adapter's driver is a little different than the next.

Solution

AquaDash

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
So I did what you said and there was a part that allowed me to change the wireless mode to the different standards, so I changed that option to 802.11B/G/N and it still didn't show any wireless networks. Have I done anything wrong at all? Also, the wireless adapter inside the computer is a Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC.

davemcminoway

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Were you able to find a solution to your problem? I have the same NIC as well as the same issue. My laptop speedtest is 20 mbps and the pc is anywhere from 2-7.

Thank you.