802.11n Finalized After 7 Years in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Good thing they didn't want to make a better mouse trap. That would only take 200 countries participants as all have mice.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I have this with my router and I can get the advertised speeds, unliked b or g. So, im talking 130Mbps. My router has it set to auto, and as soon as it recognises the wifi card only supports b and g, it will automatically go back down to 54mbps, but its still awesome to see the possibility of 130Mbps. Who know's maybe we will see the theoretical speeds of 300Mbps.

Current Consumer net, is around 24Mbps, so even at 300Mbps, you wouldnt see much difference there, but with file transfers and using the net, wifi wont be as intermittant as it currently is.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Very little changed in the standard for the last 2 and a half years, they could have launched it a year ago and already been working on 802.11P.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Thank jebus. The wireless situation in many neighborhoods like mine are bad. Two city wide wireless services, plus a dozen wireless routers most of which seem to be the rangemax and boosted type routers all on rotating channels make finding an optimal channel impossible. So much wireless noise.

G

Finally... I had gone to a technical school as a sophomore when I heard rumors of the standard. I had graduated highschool when I bought a b/g router cause I didn't want to shell out money for a draft-n. I went through college and studied a bit about draft-n. I graduated college and my parents got att u-verse (att supplied a wireless router) and gave me back the router I had bought for them (US Robotics). Now I am married and have my own place, and have the router sitting on the shelf. Unused now, but reminding me that it served its purpose, and didn't cost a fortune.

My point is: I don't think I have ever known or will know a technology that has taken so long to get ratified. Yeah, the theories were there. The draft products beta'd the different implementations testing how products would react to each other so that they could maximize compatibility (aka, some members pushed their idea as best, because their draft product already supported it). I'm glad for N to be done, but only because it annoyed me of how long it took.

G

will there be any negative effects, like less far broadcasting (weaker transmission signal) or other negative effects of applying an update to an existing wireless-n device?

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Wow someone really is given out bad ratings to people bad mouthing the IEEE for taking a long time or the newly standard N would be the late forgotten standard soon.

7 years is a long time in the technological world, but so many people and organizations wanted to add their 2-cents into it and prolonged the ratification.

However how I see it, if companies are force to update existing firmware to accommodate to the newly-standard, then more ideas towards firmware modding, less signal noise, and a migration from B/G to N.

All in all a plus for the technical world...

djinfinity

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I currently see close to 300mbps when using an "N" receiver. I have a belkin n1 vision router. As far as speed I have a netbook at home which every one knows doesn't have an internal optical drive so I networked it with my main pc. When sharing data betweens computers you really see wireless "g" left in the dust. Also When using "n" my range is alot more stable at further distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.