8086k/8700k small scratches

Jan 9, 2019
Hi, so I delidded my 8086k and I had some silicone sealant on the capacitors I was worried it would have some weird interaction with the capacitors so I took a small aluminium tool and removed with it however this tool was pointy and it’s pointy spot accidentally scratched my cpu and the capacitor as well but very little Here’s the photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/V6OZaak

Should I be worried about it?
Also I haven’t tested yet my mobo is still arriving on its way but will I face any issues on the road ?

Jan 9, 2019

I don’t understand a lot about CPU’s, wdym by connections?? Do you mean the little lines that go through the pcb? Because if you zoom in the first pic you will see the scratch goes through one of the lines in the PCB

I mean any traces. As long as it's a scrape and not a cut it will be ok. I've saw CPU's in worse shape still working fine. All I can really say other than that is to try it out in a motherboard and see how it works. If it works then likely everything is fine.

Jan 9, 2019

Hi, so a cut would be like a deeper harm in the PCB ? Also I had a little damage on the gold capacitors on the second pic shown when it came to contact with the little metal pointy tool I used, would that be a problem? Would overall any of those superficial damages on the surface that I have encountered be a big deal on the future?

Jan 9, 2019

Also what mobo would you recommend for my 8086k(I’m planning on overclocking using up to 1.5v + since I’m gonna be switching in 1-2 years to a new cpu) so I currently have 2 options because I’m going for 4600mhz ram and only those 2 supports:
EVGA z390 dark
Msi z390 godlike
And I’m only going to use a single card, I heard msi use mid quality vrms meanwhile I’m not sure about evga’s quality regarding this motherboard I have seen a lot of compliments online with its overclocking capability and everything.

I like the godlike board the best. It has more RAM slots and I like the way it looks a lot better. It's a very nice board to show off in your case if you will have a window. I personally think 4600MHz RAM is an unnecessary expense. Especially on z390. I mean the RAM already isn't the limiting factor for most things anyway. If you must have it then get it. I'd first get a cheap H310 board that I could return and a single stick of DDR4 RAM. Just get those things to test with so you can be 100% sure your CPU will work. Now as far as the performance per dollar goes here you're better off with 3200MHz RAM and a cheaper board. There is not a lot to be gained by going with the super fast RAM and a motherboard more than $250. It would make slightly more sense to get this big expensive stuff if you planned on keeping it 4 to 6 or more years. Also the faster the RAM you get the less you can overclock and the more heat you will put through your processor. If you already plan on 1.5v or more you'd better have some really superb cooling. There's no point in doing it though. The best you'll get is maybe an extra 100MHz for all that extra heat and noise. It's not worth doing unless you're in some kind of competition to see who has the best 8086k. I'd just hold off on spending so much. Get a cheaper Z370 board for about $120 to $150. I'd get however much RAM I needed though but I'd get just 3000mhz to 3600mhz ram.