Question 8086k vs 9700k vs 9900k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi

I want to buy a CPU for 2k Gaming at ultra settings @165HZ monitor.

I am confused between below 3 CPU's.

Which one should i buy? Which one will work best and give the best performance in my situation?

8086k vs 9700k vs 9900k

Endre

Reputable
Correct, you are right. But i want to be future proof. i want to be invest money once.

So i guess in coming time. most of the games will use more threads which will be fulfilled by 9900k at that time.

And i have seen that most of you guys are replying here having a similar processor i.e. 8086K.

Is that a best in market? still you guys having the same. Are you all using the 8086k for gaming?

just wondering here :)

I own a 9700K.

IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, buy the 9900KF, or better, wait for the 9900KS to be launched. That would be more “future prooved”.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I own a 9700K.

IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, buy the 9900KF, or better, wait for the 9900KS to be launched. That would be more “future prooved”.
I see there is no difference between the 9900KF and 9900KS specs apart from integrated graphics.

Both Cpu has 5GHZ single core Turbo frequency.

There is no difference at all.

Endre

Reputable
I see there is no difference between the 9900KF and 9900KS specs apart from integrated graphics.

Both Cpu has 5GHZ single core Turbo frequency.

There is no difference at all.

There is!
The 9900KS has a better silycon.
The base clock will be 4GHz on all cores (vs 3.6GHz only in single core), and the Turbo frequency will be 5.1GHz on all cores (vs 4.9GHz only in single core).

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
There is!
The base clock will be 4GHz on all cores (vs 3.6GHz only in single core), and the Turbo frequency will be 5.1GHz on all cores (vs 4.9GHz only in single core).
Ok. Do you have any idea? when it will get launched?

Intel CEO announced it will get launch in Oct 2019. but still no hear from anywhere,

Will it going to be costly than 9900K?

Endre

Reputable
Ok. Do you have any idea? when it will get launched?

Intel CEO announced it will get launch in Oct 2019. but still no hear from anywhere,

Will it going to be costly than 9900K?

Unfortunately, Intel did not reveal all the details about this CPU, no price, no TDP, no exact release date, but the rumors say that it should hit the markets in december.

There is no such thing as "future proofing"
There will always be better and cheaper products to buy in the future.
And, you have no idea of what games will be available that you might want to play.
A better strategy is to buy what you need now, of for perhaps the nest year,
Later upgrade if you want,
Games are limited either by processor or by graphics.
For good gaming, you want a balance.
For example if you buy a 9900K you should also be looking at the current top of the line graphics card, namely the RTX2080ti.

Truth is you can get very good balanced gaming with much less.
9600K and a card like a GTX1070 class card for example
Or, a 9700K and RTX2080

Reactions: Endre

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
There is!
What is the base clock on all cores and single core

and turbo frequency on all cores and single cores in 9700k?

The speeds at stock will depend on a number of factors.
Among them is the thermal load, the quality of the chip and the number of active threads.
Entirely different will be the speeds when overclocked and the options selected for the overclock.
On a good 9900K of any type and a very good cooler, onen should be able to see 5..0 or so on all cores.

I am not sure how you guys are saying that 9700k is almost equivalent to 9900k or 9900kf.

There is huge difference in both 9700k vs 9900k.

9700K has only 8 threads vs 9900k has double threads then 9700k.

Plus 9900k has hyper-threading and 9700k doesn't have. so there is a 50% difference between the two.

Let me know if i am thinking wrong here.

Thank you
Perhaps they might be reaching those conclusions based largely on gaming performance, where the typical 1-2 fps difference in frame rates seems to say that doubling the thread count might no really be all that necessary just yet in gaming. (More threads than 'perfectly enough' is not always better, and, too many are sometimes cumbersome.)

I don't know that too many threads is ever bad.
The argument for the 9700K compared to a 9900K is that 8 threads is more than enough for a pure gaming setup.
The incremental added price paid for a 16 thread 9900K does not buy you anything significant to gaming.
That added price is better spent on a faster graphics card.

Reactions: Endre