keithg1113

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
hello< i have a research paper on computer components and i have choosen the video cards. i need 3 different model and i have to compare them. can someone help me please???

Oh right ....

ATi GPU's

HD4300/4600series
HD4700series
HD4830/4850series
HD4870series
HD4890series
HD5670series
HD5750series
HD5770series
HD5850series
HD5870series
HD5970series

nVidia GPU's
8000series
9000series
210series
220series
240series
250series
260series
275series
280/285series
295series

No offence but if you dont even know of any card models then is it a good idea to write a paper about it??

Wrte I think the eastiest way to go about this would be to pick some cards out and then find reviews on google about them

So for example you wanted to compare an nVidia GPU aganst an ATi GPU you might pick a GTX285 from nVidia and then a HD5850 from ATi. ( Would be a good idea to choose cards in a similar price range to make a fair comparision.)

Then once you have choosen your cards, you go to google and type something like, "GTX285 vs HD5850 benchmarks"

I guess it would be good if you actually had some cards yourself to test instead of stealing other peoples.

Why learn about specific models when you could learn how a GPU functions instead? Idunno, seems like a poorly-constructed assignment to me.

Wikipedia is a good place to start. Else, you can look at whitepapers from ATI and Nvidia's sites. A couple of articles here take a look under the hood of specific GPUs too.

Yeah thats a good point actually, maybe he could do both, say start off by talking about how a GPU functions and maybe what its role is. and then go on to compare some GPU's from different companies.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality-update-3/benchmarks,70.html

Here at toms there is a large list of graphics cards comparing performance relative to each other. You’ll also need to find other forums/websites that benchmark cards as I’m sure you will need more than one reference for your paper. Look for universal benchmarks like 3DMark06 or Unigine’s Haven benchmark, these will most likely be run for you to compare the cards to each other rather than looking for one specific game to compare.

Why does this sound familiar? I think I remember someone else had something similar and I think we scared them off. OH WAIT it was a science fair project and we determined we couldn't have controlled testing of what they wanted without them going out and buying a whole bunch of stuff. hehe.

At least this is just a paper.

Different models might be hard to write a paper on. What about graphics card interfaces? or Bus interfaces in general, whichis what a video card uses, right? We use PCI-E right now but before that was AGP, then PCI, and before that ISA. There was also MCA, VESA, EISA, and a few others thrown in there back in the 80's.

Teachers love when you do research on history and learn something from the past. A paper on new stuff is never as interesting as digging up some old stuff that you never knew about. What class is this for?