[SOLVED] 80c Cpu temp

ashgrylls

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
Hi so I have just upgraded my pc with new mobo cpu ram

have installed a ryzen 3600x and got a gammax 400 v2 cooler on there.

my cpu temp is sitting around 78c hitting the odd 82c when playing battlefield 5.

should I be going for a better cooler? Or are those temps ok. The room does get quite warm prob 25-35c in summer.

I thought the gammax 400 would keep the temps down to around the low 70s.

case has 2 120mm intake fans and 3 120mm exhaust.

gpu gets quite warm to runs around 82c constantly.

cheers

Solution
Run different games, mate.
BF V runs the AVX instruction set, which is faster than the standard SSE instruction set at the same frequencies, but has higher power and voltage demands, thus higher operating thermals.

Current reported thermals are fine though.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019

my cpu temp is sitting around 78c hitting the odd 82c when playing battlefield 5.

should I be going for a better cooler? Or are those temps ok. The room does get quite warm prob 25-35c in summer.

cheers
I can't see why those temps would be so high... I have the exact same cooler on my 4790k thats slightly overclocked and i have yet to pass 60-65c under load.
Also, what GPU do you have?

My suggestion would be to take the system apart and make sure your fans are set up properly, with that cooler it comes with one fan and it should be pushing air through the cooler to the rear exhaust, and front case fans should be pulling fresh air in to the case. If your fan set-up looks normal then check for thermal paste coverage, too little or too much can spike temps.

As for GPU, try using MSI afterburner to check your temps and tweak the fan curve, you can adjust it so the fan will automatically increase a set % per "x" amount of temp increase which is great! Otherwise, re-pasting always helps!

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019

cheers
Additionally, you can add another fan to the cooler in a "push - pull" configuration for more airflow, which means more cooling if you don't want to be bothered by doing a tear down right away.

ashgrylls

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
I can't see why those temps would be so high... I have the exact same cooler on my 4790k thats slightly overclocked and i have yet to pass 60-65c under load.
Also, what GPU do you have?

My suggestion would be to take the system apart and make sure your fans are set up properly, with that cooler it comes with one fan and it should be pushing air through the cooler to the rear exhaust, and front case fans should be pulling fresh air in to the case. If your fan set-up looks normal then check for thermal paste coverage, too little or too much can spike temps.

As for GPU, try using MSI afterburner to check your temps and tweak the fan curve, you can adjust it so the fan will automatically increase a set % per "x" amount of temp increase which is great! Otherwise, re-pasting always helps!
Got a 2070 super with dual fans.. yea I have had the case apart and checked all the fans. Everything is working how it should the cpu fan is pushing air through the cooler to the exhaust fan.

have also been into the bios and adjusted the cpu cooler fan to 100% at 60c and it still gets to 80c.

Im thinking I’ll pull the cooler and put down some better quality paste as I only used what came with the cooler.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Got a 2070 super with dual fans.. yea I have had the case apart and checked all the fans. Everything is working how it should the cpu fan is pushing air through the cooler to the exhaust fan.

have also been into the bios and adjusted the cpu cooler fan to 100% at 60c and it still gets to 80c.

Im thinking I’ll pull the cooler and put down some better quality paste as I only used what came with the cooler.
Good idea, the factory thermal paste is always cheap.

What @Phaaze88 said is also true, so give another game a shot before or after trying new thermal paste... regardless it won't hurt to swap it for quality stuff.

TRENDING THREADS