8100 and Actiontec NIC

I formatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro and now my network
will not connect. XP says the cable is disconnected (tried several know
good connections). I'm pretty sure its a driver issue but the XP native and
Dell drivers for this card don't work. Has anyone found a good driver for
this configuration?
Pierre Aterianus

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Is there an indication of a problem in Device Manager? Might want to try
deleting it and letting the system detect it again.

Did you check their web site for the latest driver?
http://www.actiontec.com/support/support_prod.html

"Pierre Aterianus" <aterianus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I formatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro and now my network
> will not connect. XP says the cable is disconnected (tried several know
> good connections). I'm pretty sure its a driver issue but the XP native
and
> Dell drivers for this card don't work. Has anyone found a good driver for
> this configuration?
> Pierre Aterianus

Interestingly I took the laptop to work and it immediately came up on the
network. Starting to wonder if my router is at fault. Its a Dlink DI-604
and cycling power didn't have any effect. My NT and XP Home desktops have
no problem connecting to the router.
Pierre Aterianus

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> Is there an indication of a problem in Device Manager? Might want to try
> deleting it and letting the system detect it again.
>
> Did you check their web site for the latest driver?
> http://www.actiontec.com/support/support_prod.html
>

> "Pierre Aterianus" <aterianus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I formatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro and now my network
>> will not connect. XP says the cable is disconnected (tried several know
>> good connections). I'm pretty sure its a driver issue but the XP native
> and
>> Dell drivers for this card don't work. Has anyone found a good driver
>> for
>> this configuration?
>> Pierre Aterianus

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:02:12 GMT, "Pierre Aterianus"
<aterianus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Interestingly I took the laptop to work and it immediately came up on the
>network. Starting to wonder if my router is at fault. Its a Dlink DI-604
>and cycling power didn't have any effect. My NT and XP Home desktops have
>no problem connecting to the router.
> Pierre Aterianus

Must be a bad design. I have a friend with the same problem. She has
one of those miniPCI modem/NIC Actiontech combos. It will not work on
my Router as well as a friend of mine's too. But I have a old NIC
HUB, that it does work with, as well as a direct connection to my
cable modem.

Of course deal with Dell was impossible, and since my friend uses dial
up, it was no big deal for her. I had her get the NIC combo so I
could do the big updates and d/l when needed. Now I just either set
up my hub, or use a USB NIC I have.

You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net

I tried switching to 1/2 duplex and it started to work on and off. Bypassed
the router and finally connected. I'll try the hub idea next since I don't
want to loose my connection to my other three devices.
Pierre Aterianus