8300 and XP SP2

Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
Any side effects?

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:29:09 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?

Yep.

>Any side effects?

Nope.

----
Time for some thrillin' heroics.
----

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I have loaded SP2 to my XPS box and find IE is a little unstable. I used
the complete install and not the express . Here is an information link about
install http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm .

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:29:09 -0400, PC Medic wrote:

> Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
> Any side effects?

I installed SP2 on my Dimension 8400 and my Compaq laptop without a single
problem so far. I used the 266MB version the day after it became
available.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!

www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
> Any side effects?

Yes, I had more XP crashes in ten minutes than I've had over the last
eighteen months (true).

I read somewhere that you need to slipstream XP2 and do a clean
reinstall...........gonna do that over the next week or so.

Apparently just patching a running XP with SP2 won't work properly,
something to do with SP2 not liking running processes.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:29:09 -0400, PC Medic <NOT@home.net> wrote:
> Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
> Any side effects?

No problems at all updating XP Pro on my 8300 (3 GHz P4 512 MB), or a
co-worker's 8600 laptop (full SP2 update downloaded from Microsoft).

No problems on any non-Dell PC's with same update either, which included 2
XP Home PC's (my and co-workers homes), or 4 other XP Pro boxes (one of
which had earlier been "updated" from Win ME to XP Pro).

All of these were "updates" with mixed CPUs (P4, Centrino, AMD Duron, AMD
Athlon64) and had either integrated video or nVidia video cards. Windows
has never been reinstalled on any of them. I have not tried letting any
PC automatically update to SP2 from Windows Updates, so I would not know
of any snags with that.

The first thing I would check if you do have a problem is that your video
drivers are up to date, because SP2 installs DirectX 9.0c.

"Gemma King" <gemma.king@webtribe.net> wrote in message

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
> > Any side effects?
> >

> Yes, I had more XP crashes in ten minutes than I've had over the last
> eighteen months (true).
>
> I read somewhere that you need to slipstream XP2 and do a clean
> reinstall...........gonna do that over the next week or so.
>
> Apparently just patching a running XP with SP2 won't work properly,
> something to do with SP2 not liking running processes.

Well I have completed approximately 15-20 other machines at the office
(various manufactures) with no issues so I am certainly surprised to here
this.
I was only curious as to the 8300 as I personally own 2 of them and had not
yet upgraded those.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I to have loaded on several machines
at the office without a hitch. Just wanted to be sure no one had seen issues
on the 8300's as that is what two of my home systems consist of. Figured I
would let someone else be the guinea pig for a change! :0)

PC Medic wrote:

> Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
> Any side effects?

Loaded on a 4500 with XP Home, a 4550 with XP Pro and an Inspriron 1100
with XP Pro. Not one glitch on any of the machines.

Bob

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Gemma King wrote:

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
>
>>Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
>>Any side effects?
>
> Yes, I had more XP crashes in ten minutes than I've had over the last
> eighteen months (true).
>
> I read somewhere that you need to slipstream XP2 and do a clean
> reinstall...........gonna do that over the next week or so.
>
> Apparently just patching a running XP with SP2 won't work properly,
> something to do with SP2 not liking running processes.

This might be true in some cases, but certainly not across the board. I
updated my ThinkPad last weekend and my Dim 4550 this past weekend -
everything went very smoothly (best SP I can remember installing). I'm
rendering approx. 110 minutes of video in the background as I type here
- not a peep out of Pinnacle (so far, I'm the type who believes you
don't mention the no hitter until the game is over).

My situation might be helped by the facts that my hardware is relatively
new (Dim is the oldest - new 03/2003) and I had recently reinstalled Win
XP on them prior to the SP2 install.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:29:09 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>Anyone loaded XP SP2 to their Dimension 8300 yet?
>Any side effects?

8200 user and no problems. I'm putting it on wife's 8300 in a few
days. Only problem so far was that one feature in Mailwasher broke.

I suggest downloading the entire update.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: