8300: Dual processor question

I have an 8300 with a single Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz processor, with hyperthreading.
In Device Manager under processor, this processor shows up twice. And if I do
a System Info, it also shows 2 processors. Norton Cleansweep also gives me a
message that it "cannot run on dual processor machine." Can someone explain to
me why it shows up as a dual processor? Thanks for info.

"GarySport" <garysport@aol.comjk.net> wrote in message
>I have an 8300 with a single Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz processor, with
>hyperthreading.
> In Device Manager under processor, this processor shows up twice. And if
> I do
> a System Info, it also shows 2 processors. Norton Cleansweep also gives me
> message that it "cannot run on dual processor machine." Can someone
> explain to
> me why it shows up as a dual processor? Thanks for info.

HyperThreading means your processor can effectively run as two
processors.........which is what your system is reporting.

which is effectively the same as running on 1.3 processors. The core of the
CPU is logically divided so that it can sometimes execute 2 process threads
at the same time.

if your applications are having that much trouble with it, go into the BIOS
when you boot the computer, and disable hyper-threading (which may be called
"logical processor").

- NuTs