8350 4.4 GHz idle Volts?

Sep 15, 2018
So I wanted to OC it to 4.4 ghz and I did it and I passed the stress tests from prime95 + Valley both at the same time for 30 min and whats weird for me when the PC is under load the voltage slowly dropping to a certain point, I think it was 1.35 cca but when PC is on idle my voltages go high at idle and that worries me I have 1.45 V and I am not too confident to fiddle around manual OCing.. so is this voltage fine or I need help? If I need help any help would be appreciated!

My spec:

MOBO: sabertooth r2 0 990fx
CPU: 8350
CPU Cooler: corsair h100i
MEMORY: g.skill 16gb (2x8gb)
GPU: gainward gtx 1060 6gb phoenix gs
PSU: antec high current pro 750w platinum

Here is some Pics from bios and corsair link(I use link coz he shows the same info as CPUID HWMonitor with 1c/volt difference)

https://imgur.com/a/ICjkMRL

Solution
I run 8 hour tests overnight, while I'm sleeping, or while I am away working if I'm working away from the shop. Trying to run them during the work day when you need to use the unit is a no go in most cases.

Try using only the 8GB setting in Realbench. Using the full 16GB setting is not terribly important for testing CPU stability, only if you are in need of checking the memory stability along with it, and only to the extent that AVX instructions do not initiate memory errors. In this case, 8GB is fine. Use that setting.

1.45v is way too high for anything but the very highest overclocks. Try 1.35v and set the Line load calibration setting in the bios to high, not to very high or extreme. Do not leave it on auto either. High is a good...
First of all, that's not an acceptable "stress test". If you want to check stability of your CPU, just download and run Realbench. Open realbench, click on "Stress test" and choose 8 hours and the amount of memory that matches your installed RAM capacity. If you have 16GB, choose "up to 16gb" in the memory field. If there are errors within the 8 hour period, it is not stable. If there are not, then it most probably is.

For THERMAL testing, Prime95 is acceptable. But only version 26.6. Run that on Small FFT option for 15 minutes. If it stays below 60°C then it is thermally compliant. If it does not, then you need to either reduce the frequency of the overclock or reduce voltage, or look at whether the cooling configuration is sufficient.

It is normal for voltage to be higher at idle than under load. This is called vdroop. You can google it and find a boatload of information on it. What you need to do is go into the bios, find the Line load calibration setting and increase it slightly. High would be the setting I'd recommend. Very high and extreme will likely seriously increase core temperatures. With a setting of high rather than auto, vdroop should be reduced somewhat. Unless you set to very high or extreme, which should not be necessary unless you have stability issues, there will be some amount of vdroop which is ok as long as the overclock is stable.

Sep 15, 2018
Thx for the reply and I didnt know that about prime, I see the difference with Realbench, my fans are screaming but doing a good job, for now I set it for 30 min and no errors on the screen other than realbench showing "result hash match" 2x whatever that means... I will make an 8 hour test tomorrow but for now temp #1 is not going above 51c and package avg is 42c and max 46c (I dont know what is considered bad temp for the package...) (22min runing realbench atm)

It will continue to show hash matches until the test period ends OR there is an error, in which case it will stop testing.

Anything below 80°C on any core or on the package temps is within tolerance. I don't like to see anything above about 72°C MAX, but that's because I don't prefer my fans screaming or constantly ramping up and down. My 6700k@4.5Ghz never goes above 70°C under a full stress load, running Prime95 version 26.6 on Small FFT. So anything on a Core-I CPU below 72°C is pretty good, below 80 is acceptable.

Be sure you're reading the correct thermal value though. You should be looking at core temps and using either HWinfo or CoreTemp to monitor core temperatures. Here's why I believe that to be true.

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. Always select the "Sensors only" option when running HWinfo.

In cases where it is relevant and you are seeking help, then in order to help you, it's often necessary to SEE what's going on, in the event one of us can pick something out that seems out of place, or other indicators that just can't be communicated via a text only post. In these cases, posting an image of the HWinfo sensors or something else can be extremely helpful. That may not be the case in YOUR thread, but if it is then the information at the following link will show you how to do that:

*How to post images in Tom's hardware forums

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

It is most helpful if you can take a series of HWinfo screenshots at idle, after a cold boot to the desktop. Open HWinfo and wait for all of the Windows startup processes to complete. Usually about four or five minutes should be plenty. Take screenshots of all the HWinfo sensors.

Next, run something demanding like Prime95 version 26.6 or Heaven benchmark. Take another set of screenshots while either of those is running so we can see what the hardware is doing while under a load.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

Sep 15, 2018
Thank you very much for all the info Darkbreeze, I did also the 2nd test and it passed realbench but I got 2 or 3 hiccups with the mouse cursor, as for the temps, I will do more longer test tomorrow and will report back
HzjG0GJ.png

Yeah, you can't do anything else during the testing of Realbench. It will use most of the system resources. Just start the test, let it run overnight for 8 hours. If it passes, with no errors, then the OC is pretty stable. There are further tests that can be done, but usually Realbench is solid and I've never seen a realistic overclock pass Realbench and fail any other mainstream stability test.

Testing for less than 8 hours doesn't really do much unless you are incrementally trying to figure out where you totally lose stability when determining what the maximum threshold for your OC is. If you already know where you want it and it passes, then it's good, unless you want to try dropping voltage to reduce temperatures but of course that increases the probability of instability.

Sep 15, 2018

Ok So I didnt test it to 8h but I did manage to pull 5h, I am doing some web design work and I work full time job so I dont have much time to test it 8h, I will report back when I have more free time. anyway I have problem to set 16GB memory Realbench is always telling me not enough memory and I have installed 16GB but I think its something about paging file thing, I will sort that out. What concerns me is voltage.. Are you 100% sure that having 1.45V on 4.4Ghz is ok? I did drop it a bit manually to 1.40 in bios I ask coz Gamers nexus explains that having high voltages can degrade cpu overtime.. thats why I am concerned...

I run 8 hour tests overnight, while I'm sleeping, or while I am away working if I'm working away from the shop. Trying to run them during the work day when you need to use the unit is a no go in most cases.

Try using only the 8GB setting in Realbench. Using the full 16GB setting is not terribly important for testing CPU stability, only if you are in need of checking the memory stability along with it, and only to the extent that AVX instructions do not initiate memory errors. In this case, 8GB is fine. Use that setting.

1.45v is way too high for anything but the very highest overclocks. Try 1.35v and set the Line load calibration setting in the bios to high, not to very high or extreme. Do not leave it on auto either. High is a good setting for that overclock at that frequency and voltage.

I believe the LLC/Line load calibration setting can be found in the Digi+ power control settings sub menu of the AI tweaker tab.

Solution