8350 CPU Overheating

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
So started playing Rainbow Six Siege again the other day, and noticed that my PC hardlocks while in game. First time I thought it was nothing big. After the second time, I opened up HWMonitor and said my CPU was at 79C. So I dusted out my PC today, reapplied the thermal paste, made sure that the 212 Evo was properly seated. Read the temps again while playing, 77-79C still. So I then did a thorough clean of my PC and reapplied thermal paste again carefully. Temperature still read the same. I check BIOS and my voltage was set to AUTO but to the side it said 1.4125. I turned it down to stock which is 1.375 (correct me if I'm wrong). Temps still read 77-79C. Is there anything else I should do to fix this?

Build:
Case: Phantom 410 with 3 fans
Mobo: 990-FXA
CPU: FX 8350
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU: MSI R9 390

Solution
Well those temps are not hideous, but they don't seem appropriate. I feel like either your temperature sensor has gone bad(which does occasionally happen), or the mounting for the heatsink is busted in some way which is not easily noticeable. Try taking the cooler, the mounting bracket, and even the backplate off. Inspect everything closely, and reassemble it. Of course, if all else fails...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
There isn't anything gunking up the fins in the heatsink are there? Dust Bunnies, pet hair, anything like that. What is the fan doing? Going at a decent RPM when running? Have you tried running the rig with the side off to see if that helps cool things down? If so, I'd look into rethinking your case cooling, and what directions your fans are blowing air around your case.

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

So I checked my CPU Fan Speed and it says 700-800 RPM, which is pretty low lmao.

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

CPU Temp is at 77C when playing games and the speed will still be at 800. I'm trying to mess around with fan settings in BIOS, but I can't seem to get it to increase.

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Take the mounting bracket off and inspect it to make sure it is not cracked or damaged. Look really closely at it, with a magnifying glass if you've got one. Try using a different cooler, mounting structure, and bracket if you are able to.

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

I've looked at it as best as I could and couldn't see much. I don't have another cooler handy, but I'm planning on buying an H100i. Any thoughts on this?

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

212 Evo Pics https://imgur.com/gallery/HJl6f

Here are the pictures. Might seem a little rushed, have to head to college in a bit lol.

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. The mounting and bracket look to be in normal condition. Have you tried mounting a different case fan to that cooler? The bearings in fans can go bad, so that the fan still rotates, but not freely, and grinds against other parts. You aren't necessarily always able to hear if the bearings have gone bad, particularly if the fan is optimized for noise reduction.

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

So I installed a case fan on the CPU. It has been used since I first got the case so it is a bit dirty and not PWM. Speeds are higher than the one that came with the Evo. 1300RPM the entire time and cooled my temps down a little bit from 65-70C. Maybe even a little lower than that. Still seems a bit hot though doesn't it? Thinking it might be time for a couple of new fans don't ya think?

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Here are the screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/tAKmC

I changed the fan settings from disabled to voltage so the fans weren't running at max speed during these tests. Shouldn't a stress test have a hotter number than siege?

RickoRama

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

I've been playing for a couple of days with this case fan on Siege and it hasn't hard locked. The temps on the other hand have been sitting in the 60s. Is this okay or should it be better? Any tips?

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Well those temps are not hideous, but they don't seem appropriate. I feel like either your temperature sensor has gone bad(which does occasionally happen), or the mounting for the heatsink is busted in some way which is not easily noticeable. Try taking the cooler, the mounting bracket, and even the backplate off. Inspect everything closely, and reassemble it. Of course, if all else fails...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

Solution

MaDDD

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
You could try seeing if you can go even lower on the voltage, I have managed to run mine fine at stock speed with much less voltage than 1.375. This in turn should lower the temps a fair bit.