8350 OC 4.8 Random Freezes upon LIGHT STRESS

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
I recently changed my mobo to M5A99FX Pro 2.0 for a better OC and SLI support, and I was able to make it stable @4.8GHz, passed Prime95 tests for half an hour, and has been running games like BF4 and watch dogs completely stable. Yet, upon start up and other occasions where the CPU is at almost 0% usage, the screen often just freezes with no BSOD or power off, or restart, etc. It just freezes. After that, if I press the reboot button on my case, the screen would go black and will not turn on at all. Only if I turn off the PSU and turn it back on, then my computer turns on completely normal. I went on checking the event viewer and did not see anything. The point is that almost ALL freezes occurred when the computer is idle instead of under load. I even had games open overnight several times just to test this, and the computer was completely fine the next morning. I tried to change BIOS settings on CPU voltage, power supply phases, etc, and refreshing the BIOS, none of which worked. When I was on my old motherboard (a MSI 970A-G43) I was able to OC to 4.6GHz just fine. I wonder wat is going on with my PC.

It sounds like a issue with the CPU trying to throttle down to a power saving state. If it's only when idle, that's when it tries to enter those power levels. Are there any settings you can turn off in the BIOS to prevent this? (i.e. turning off cool n Quiet.)

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

OK so if my OC is not stable, why would I be ALWAYS able to STABLY run games and even stress tests, but not on idle?

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

Yes, all power saving like CnQ, C6S are turned off.

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

The idle voltage is 1.416V, while at load it goes up to 1.452V, but if I increase the voltage it cannot pass p95 without overheating over 85C

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

even at stock freq and voltage it still goes beyond 75C upon stress testing. I have a CNPS9900 Max cooler and applied thermal paste properly

take it off and test your stock coolers temps might be something wrong with the cooler a stock cooler will keep a stock chip in the low 60's

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

Nope, it doesn't. I've had 3 coolers: stock, CM TX3, and now this, stock has idle temp at 50+, cannot run any stress test, crashes alot in games, etc. TX3 could hold it fine at stock at 75C ish while stress testing, now this could hold 75C ish at 4.8. I'm absolutely sure that I applied cooler properly and did not mount them reversely.

kerfrog

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Solved the issue. It happened to be that I put the CPU Load-Line calibration to Extreme, where it allowed the voltage to fluctuate in a much higher range than needed, making the idle voltage too low to support regular use, yet making the loaded voltage too high which caused overheat. I tuned it down to Ultra High and the voltage stopped fluctuating at a high scale, then I set the Vcore at 1.44V and everything worked fine from there: no overheat from stress tests, and no random freezes under idle.