8350 still randomly throttling

fivefootwall

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
I have read all sorts of posts and implemented suggestions, but sometimes 6 of the 8 cores drop from 4019 to 1407 ... which means I can't use the system to record audio. Most times if I reboot, the problem goes away. AMD-OD and OCC report stability, and when running at 100% the clocks don't drop speed. They seem to happen under low load, not high load; but when it happens I have to try reboot. PITA!!

I'm running Win7x64 on Gigabyte 970A-UD3P. Reportedly, there was a 'hotfix' for Win7 and throttling, but could not locate it (pulled by Microsoft?). I did search the registry for the questionable string and set those to supposedly solve this issue. And, NO, I can't upgrade to Win10 because of all the hardware I'd have to replace. $$$$$$$$. I'm a songwriter, and this is my tool.

I was concerned about the temp of the NB (or at least the heatsink with the Gigabyte signage), and put a 40mm fan blowing right on it. This dropped the NB temp from 60+ to 40+. My CPU no load temp is 26 and at 100% load will slowly creep up to 57, no higher.

The clock, NB freq, HT link and clock ration are all set at Auto. Core Perf Boost, CPU unlock, cool and quiet, C1E, SVM, Core6, and APM are Disabled. HPC mode is Enabled because I run Sonar which is heavily multithreaded.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure the 6 cores are just not being used? Is the app only single threaded or only can utilize 2 cores? The reason I say this is because 1407 MHz is what the FX-8350's cores run at when idle.

Does this also occur when you stress test the CPU with something like P95 or Intel Burn test?

Also, do you have the Win Power Option set to High Performance?

fivefootwall

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
No, Sonar DAW utilizes all 8 cores ... when all 8 are at full. Otherwise, with 6 running at 1407 it doesn't run smoothly at all (pops and clicks etc). Sonar was specifically coded to be a balanced, multithreaded app. I had no problems running an AMD 6300 6 core at 3.8ghz for years prior on same mb.

When stress testing with P95, OCC, and AMD-OD all 8 cores crank at 4ghz. It -seems- to occur when I am browsing internet, watching videos, doing non-demanding bs. However, when it happens, it stays that way. It won't quit running the 6 cores at 1407 until I reboot. In other words, heavy CPU demand does not "restart" the sleeping cores. Only a reboot. Sometimes a cold reboot.

Yes, PO set to HPerf.

TRENDING THREADS