8400 - RAID 0 - Partition magic - GOBACK - ??

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

Quick question.
About to order a 8400 with 925xe chipset, 2x160mb sata hdd configured RAID
0.
1) Can I use partition magic 8 on the RAID 0? According to their website, it
can be used on "hardware based" raid systems - But on the Intel 925xe?? Some
groups I have read suggest NO and some suggest YES - ANYONE ACTUALLY used
partition magic 8 on this setup??
2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup?? I have emailed
Symantec Tech support, but on past experience could be months before I hear
from 'em :)
Thanks
Tim
Australia

"Tack" <nottachance@noway.com> wrote in message
> Quick question.
> About to order a 8400 with 925xe chipset, 2x160mb sata hdd configured RAID
> 0.
> 1) Can I use partition magic 8 on the RAID 0? According to their website,
> it can be used on "hardware based" raid systems - But on the Intel 925xe??
> Some groups I have read suggest NO and some suggest YES - ANYONE ACTUALLY
> used partition magic 8 on this setup??
> 2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup?? I have
> emailed Symantec Tech support, but on past experience could be months
> before I hear from 'em :)
> Thanks
> Tim
> Australia

Are you sure you want to risk 320GB in one Raid 0 config? Either drive
fails and you lose everything. Why not two 160GB individual drives, one OS,
one data?

"Tack" <nottachance@noway.com> wrote:
>2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup??

Dunno for sure, but I use Ghost on a hardware RAID-0 setup and it
works just fine. From the POV of the BIOS, it looks just like a
single disk drive...

And with 1 drive for each, if 1 drive fails, all the data on it lost too.
Your suggestion doesnt offer any additonal protection over his raid 0 set.
He will just lose 1/2 of his data. 50 -50 change that he would be rebuilding
his system, and reinstalling his apps and getting it all tuned just the way
he likes it ...

Raid 1 is fast and completely redundant. And now that the OP has tempted
fate said that he has never lost a hard drive, its bound to happen. I always
use fault tolerant raid for data that would be very painful to lose, and you
can use raid 0 for data you dont really care about (like for video editing
or streaming, or whatever) ..

- NuTs

> "Tack" <nottachance@noway.com> wrote in message
>> Quick question.
>> About to order a 8400 with 925xe chipset, 2x160mb sata hdd configured
>> RAID 0.
>> 1) Can I use partition magic 8 on the RAID 0? According to their website,
>> it can be used on "hardware based" raid systems - But on the Intel
>> 925xe?? Some groups I have read suggest NO and some suggest YES - ANYONE
>> ACTUALLY used partition magic 8 on this setup??
>> 2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup?? I have
>> emailed Symantec Tech support, but on past experience could be months
>> before I hear from 'em :)
>> Thanks
>> Tim
>> Australia
>>
> Are you sure you want to risk 320GB in one Raid 0 config? Either drive
> fails and you lose everything. Why not two 160GB individual drives, one
> OS, one data?

I'd rather lose 160gb than 320gb and since the odds are 50/50 that all I
would lose would be the OS drive (who cares) then.....

Of course, I've lost 1/2 dozen drives in the last 3 years.

Tom
"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> And with 1 drive for each, if 1 drive fails, all the data on it lost too.
> Your suggestion doesnt offer any additonal protection over his raid 0 set.
> He will just lose 1/2 of his data. 50 -50 change that he would be
> rebuilding his system, and reinstalling his apps and getting it all tuned
> just the way he likes it ...
>
> Raid 1 is fast and completely redundant. And now that the OP has tempted
> fate said that he has never lost a hard drive, its bound to happen. I
> always use fault tolerant raid for data that would be very painful to
> lose, and you can use raid 0 for data you dont really care about (like for
> video editing or streaming, or whatever) ..
>
> - NuTs

>> "Tack" <nottachance@noway.com> wrote in message
>>> Quick question.
>>> About to order a 8400 with 925xe chipset, 2x160mb sata hdd configured
>>> RAID 0.
>>> 1) Can I use partition magic 8 on the RAID 0? According to their
>>> website, it can be used on "hardware based" raid systems - But on the
>>> Intel 925xe?? Some groups I have read suggest NO and some suggest YES -
>>> ANYONE ACTUALLY used partition magic 8 on this setup??
>>> 2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup?? I have
>>> emailed Symantec Tech support, but on past experience could be months
>>> before I hear from 'em :)
>>> Thanks
>>> Tim

> I'd rather lose 160gb than 320gb and since the odds are 50/50 that all I
> would lose would be the OS drive (who cares) then.....
>
> Of course, I've lost 1/2 dozen drives in the last 3 years.
>
> Tom

Since I tend to be lazy and want a quick fix, I simply mirror my drives.
Disk dies, who cares. Unplug and move to the mirror.

Certainly people's needs and preferences do vary....

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> > I'd rather lose 160gb than 320gb and since the odds are 50/50 that all I
> > would lose would be the OS drive (who cares) then.....
> >
> > Of course, I've lost 1/2 dozen drives in the last 3 years.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Since I tend to be lazy and want a quick fix, I simply mirror my drives.
> Disk dies, who cares. Unplug and move to the mirror.
>
> Certainly people's needs and preferences do vary....

I don't consider it at all "lazy."

I, too, have my drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration. I figure
that's it's just a matter of time before a catastophic drive failure
occurs, and, for me, it was worth the extra up-front money to be
insured.

Notan

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Why would you want a RAID 0 ? unless your gonna play some high end games ?
the only advantage of RAID 0 is speed of writing as it stripes across both
disk. If its safety you want then choose a RAID 1 which is a mirror image

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Why would you want a RAID 0 ? unless your gonna play some high end games ?
> the only advantage of RAID 0 is speed of writing as it stripes across both
> disk. If its safety you want then choose a RAID 1 which is a mirror image

Might also point out that if the sole reasoning for RAID 0 is speed, I doubt
that outside of benchmarking and handling very large files one could
perceptibly note any speed increase.

I prefer the "act like your OS or hard disk is going to die tomorrow"
approach.

Stew

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

> "Tack" <nottachance@noway.com> wrote in message
>> Quick question.
>> About to order a 8400 with 925xe chipset, 2x160mb sata hdd configured
>> RAID 0.
>> 1) Can I use partition magic 8 on the RAID 0? According to their website,
>> it can be used on "hardware based" raid systems - But on the Intel
>> 925xe?? Some groups I have read suggest NO and some suggest YES - ANYONE
>> ACTUALLY used partition magic 8 on this setup??
>> 2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup?? I have
>> emailed Symantec Tech support, but on past experience could be months
>> before I hear from 'em :)
>> Thanks
>> Tim
>> Australia
>>
> Are you sure you want to risk 320GB in one Raid 0 config? Either drive
> fails and you lose everything. Why not two 160GB individual drives, one
> OS, one data?

Yep - fair call Tom ( And thanks for the comment) - still thinkin' on that.
Must say - over last 20 years never had a drive fail on me - although I tend
to buy a new system every 2 years or so and leave 'em on 24 hours a day -
Last time I looked ( Several years ago) quoted MTBF for HDD's was around
50,000 hours. - just over 5 years. May have changed since tho'
Tim

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Tack" <nottachance@noway.com> wrote in message
> Quick question.
> About to order a 8400 with 925xe chipset, 2x160mb sata hdd configured RAID
> 0.
> 1) Can I use partition magic 8 on the RAID 0? According to their website,
> it can be used on "hardware based" raid systems - But on the Intel 925xe??
> Some groups I have read suggest NO and some suggest YES - ANYONE ACTUALLY
> used partition magic 8 on this setup??
> 2) Can Norton/Symantec Goback 4 be used on this RAID setup?? I have
> emailed Symantec Tech support, but on past experience could be months
> before I hear from 'em :)
> Thanks
> Tim
> Australia

FWIW this is where I ended up.
I am NOT stripping / raid 0 my 2 x160gb hdd's.
Instead - 2 separate drives partitioned as needed with Part magic and with
GOBACK installed.
I did get a message back from Symantec that said that goback 4 was NOT
compatible with RAID - even hardware versions (Not sure why m'self - would
have thought it was transparent) , anyway, can always stripe later if need
be....
Thanks to all those who answered
Tim
Australia