Question 850 EVO worked fine in D drive position until 1903 update

Aug 19, 2019
Asus gl702vm-bhi7n09 (Asus) ran fine (years) with 850 1TB EVO (MODEL MZ-75E1T0) in "D" drive, that came alone in box except for user sheet, as it was to install directly to laptop motherboard. Installed 1903 update. Asus will not boot if EVO is installed. Samsung rep says win 10 'clean' install will fix problem. Installed supplied USB restarted and reinstalled Win 10, 850 does not work with Asus and 850 does work in USB external enclosure. Magician cannot see 850 while in enclosure aad Asus will not boot if 850 is installed in "d" drive position. Have Asus and USB with the Win 10 Pro on it (USB) as ordered and supplied by Bestbuy (it has worked before, for other Win 10 prob updates). If I clean or reformat OS (C: Drive) (do not know which is better) and use supplied USB at restart, will Supplied USB install 'clean' win 10 pro on Asus? Ran these as suggested by others and found errors after 1903 install.
Sfc.exe /ScanNow and ran, Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup, Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
The 1903/850 will still not allow boot.
I am not, the only user with EVO, Win 10 - 1903 problems.
Thanks, from all of us 1903 - Win 10 - EVO oppressed, in advance!

Well! It appears that EVO's and win 10 will not play together right, for now. Another SSD manufacturer has updated thier firmware and thiers appears to work now (08202019) with win10.
Rolling back to win 10 that had worked with EVO , it is no longer recognized. May have to buy from some SSD manufacturer other then Samsung. Will check for other SSD complaints before buying another multi- hundred dollar TB drive. Have a good laugh. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
These sorts of issues are not, by any means, limited to only one manufacturer.

It has often been the case that different manufacturers, even when given scads of lead time to update their software/firmware for an upcoming Windows 10 Feature Update with changes that are known to break the existing software, just don't do it. This was writ large at the introduction of Windows 10, where tons just decided they'd "see what broke" then fix it rather than make the vaguest attempt to set up an in-house Win10 advance test bed.

Microsoft won't be standing still, Samsung won't be standing still (on the whole), and everyone involved already knows that the era of software as a service has changed the game, and in ways that should no longer be new to anyone.

I would definitely voice my complaints to Samsung, though, if it is actually their inaction that has caused the situation.

There are plenty of times when fault can clearly be placed, and when it can, the responsible party or parties should get the negative feedback they deserve.

Aug 19, 2019
Would like to hear about sata III owners installing new SSD's in / on a 1903 platform as D drive and does it work? The model numbers of successes would be (understandably) appreciated. May the God of computer issues be having a "sunday".

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Were I you, I'd consider starting a dedicated topic on the Storage forum.

It will probably get more traction there given exactly what you're looking for. You can give the link back to this one if there's material you'd prefer not to retype or copy/paste.

I don't consider that a duplicate topic provided you pursue the "gory details" there. The moderators may feel differently, and if they do I'm sure a response will show up here shortly.

That or you could send a PM to a member of the moderating team asking that the topic be moved. I believe that can be done here.