[SOLVED] 850 PSU Enough for 3080 extreme + 10850k?

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
Hey, i got an Aorus extreme with an i9 10850k
And nzxt z73 with lots of rgb components inclouding cables, fans

And i got an RM850X for that, is it enough???
Or i should have get an 1000w psu instead

Solution
SteelScorpionX How did you make out with this build? Ironically, I have a friend that last week received a prebuilt with an RMx850 and RTX 3080, and her system shutoff midgame (Valorant). My guess is that the GPU triggered a false overvolt protection on the PSU. Based on this experience, as well as further research, in the future I'll probably opt for 1,000 watt PSUs. I suspect that this problem stems more from Nvidia's architecture for the 3000 series GPUs, but I still like when things just work without hassle.

Lutfij

Titan
In order to get a tailored response, you're advised to list the full system's specs. namely they should be like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

include any overclocking goals you might have with your platform. We can move forward from there. Also, what is the make and model of the 1000W PSU you're looking at?

SteelScorpionX How did you make out with this build? Ironically, I have a friend that last week received a prebuilt with an RMx850 and RTX 3080, and her system shutoff midgame (Valorant). My guess is that the GPU triggered a false overvolt protection on the PSU. Based on this experience, as well as further research, in the future I'll probably opt for 1,000 watt PSUs. I suspect that this problem stems more from Nvidia's architecture for the 3000 series GPUs, but I still like when things just work without hassle.

Solution
Aug 10, 2021
honestly you should be fine. The RM850x is a top tier PSU and should be enough. Even Asus lists an 850 as comfortable measures for that pairing. I mean, if you want to get the RM1000x to be double sure that would pad you out, but I don't really forsee any problems unless you want to over clock that sucker hard or something