[SOLVED] 850W enough for very high end build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
I know this gets asked a lot, but problem is i always find very different answers that confuse me.
I have new build with i9 - 9900k, MSI Nvidia 2080ti gaming trio, 64 gb ram, 3 monitors, 1 nvme drive, 3 SSD drives, 3 HDD drives, 1x capture card, dark rock pro 4 cpu cooler and 4 fans.
And will 850W gold or platinum be enough?
There are people that say that even with 8700k and 1080ti 850w is not enough. And there are people that say that even if OC, 850w should not be a problem at all with 9900k and 2080ti.
Would it be better for me since i have very high end build, multiple monitors/displays and many accessories and fans to go for 1000w? thanks a lot

Solution
so you think i should just replace the corsair hx850i for new one? and not go for 1000w? power calculator from seasonic resulted in my system drawing aprox 690w without overclocking. shouldnt i go for some 1000w psu to have more headroom and less heat etc?
The power calculators are wildly inaccurate. The 2080ti could draw maybe 270W. The 9900K may pull around 70W under normal load, but under extreme stress could potentially pull around 200W. Overclocked maybe 250W

Thats 520W under peak conditions with big CPU OC
You don't need another 480W for other components. If there is one for the same price, then why not arguably, but other than that it's just wasted money.

The RMi are good PSUs, some of the best. How long have you had it?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Whoever is suggesting an 8700k and a 2080ti needs more than 850w is probably a bit insane or using poor PSU calculators.

A 2080ti can run on a good quality 650w in most systems. It definitely wont need more than 850w. If you plan on overclocking then a 750w would suffice.

850w would be more than enough :)

Last edited:

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
the thing is, i have corsair hx850i now, but whenever i do something on the PC apart from sitting in windows. be it rendering, playing games, the PSU is making weird noise, not like buzzing, but more like very fast ticking/clicking and the more demanding the task is, the more you can hear it.
I am no expert but it seems probably like a mechanical issue, something with the fan perhaps. I checked it without opening the PSU because i dont want to loose waranty.
But could it also be because it is not powerful enough for my PC (having three monitors etc) ? It is also quite hot.

So i want to return it, but i am wondering if i should get the same one or different one or try to go for 1000w. Money is not the issue so what other problem could there be if i use 1000w on my PC instead of 850 you reccomend? Shouldn't the 1000 be more quiet and less hot because it wont be that stressed?

the thing is, i have corsair hx850i now, but whenever i do something on the PC apart from sitting in windows. be it rendering, playing games, the PSU is making weird noise, not like buzzing, but more like very fast ticking/clicking and the more demanding the task is, the more you can hear it.
I am no expert but it seems probably like a mechanical issue, something with the fan perhaps. I checked it without opening the PSU because i dont want to loose waranty.
But could it also be because it is not powerful enough for my PC (having three monitors etc) ? It is also quite hot.

So i want to return it, but i am wondering if i should get the same one or different one or try to go for 1000w. Money is not the issue so what other problem could there be if i use 1000w on my PC instead of 850 you reccomend? Shouldn't the 1000 be more quiet and less hot because it wont be that stressed?
Hard to say but my immediate thought is a problem with the fan. This I think also lines up with the increased noise under load as the heat & fan speed goes up. The only moving part is the fan.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
Hard to say but my immediate thought is a problem with the fan. This I think also lines up with the increased noise under load as the heat & fan speed goes up. The only moving part is the fan.

so you think i should just replace the corsair hx850i for new one? and not go for 1000w? power calculator from seasonic resulted in my system drawing aprox 690w without overclocking. shouldnt i go for some 1000w psu to have more headroom and less heat etc?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The power calculators are wildly inaccurate. The 2080ti could draw maybe 270W. The 9900K may pull around 70W under normal load, but under extreme stress could potentially pull around 200W. Overclocked maybe 250W

You don't need another 480W for other components. If there is one for the same price, then why not arguably, but other than that it's just wasted money.

Last edited:
Solution
PC Tailor has covered it, personally I’d go 750w-850w but expect that system would run on a high quality 650w but I wouldn’t recommend it. As you still have a warranty on your current PSU why not look into that first unless you don’t want the hassle.

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015

You don't need another 480W for other components. If there is one for the same price, then why ont arguably, but other than that it's just wasted money.

Just few days, i got the components this week and i was assembling it, installing things i need and yesterday i started testing it with more taxing stuff like editing videos, rendering, playing games and thats when it came around. I guess i will try to get the corsair hx850i replaced with new one and if there is still problem, i will try trusted seasonic. Or maybe try the 1000w i am not sure.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just few days, i got the components this week and i was assembling it, installing things i need and yesterday i started testing it with more taxing stuff like editing videos, rendering, playing games and thats when it came around. I guess i will try to get the corsair hx850i replaced with new one and if there is still problem, i will try trusted seasonic. Or maybe try the 1000w i am not sure.
I use Seasonic myself and i am a big advocate of them. However I will reiterate that the RMi are some of the best PSUs on the market, and I absolutely would not move away from it if you already have it. The only Seasonics I would personally deem completely comparable are the PRIME series.

If you're certain the sound is coming from the PSU, just contact Corsair and replace it.

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
I use Seasonic myself and i am a big advocate of them. However I will reiterate that the RMi are some of the best PSUs on the market, and I absolutely would not move away from it if you already have it. The only Seasonics I would personally deem completely comparable are the PRIME series.

If you're certain the sound is coming from the PSU, just contact Corsair and replace it.

ok, i will replace the corsair one i have with new one and hopefully it was just because some faulty fan or whole unit. Thank you a lot for quick replies and help.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
You definitely do not need more then 850 Watt for your system. The 3 monitors run of their own power bricks so will have no effect on your PSU. Sure the GPU will use more power to output all them pixels but it would be no more power used for that then to use a single monitor with the same combined resolution. The reason some gaming sites and GPU manufacturers are over stating the PSU recommendations is because they are assuming the worst scenario like someone running some cheap China PSU that are incorrectly rated or perhaps someone running a really old 10+ year PSU that have not been properly maintained and are full with cat hair. In such a situation that power supply might only be able to output half it's max rating even if it is a good quality PSU.

For a new fresh power supply 850 watt is plenty. I would estimate you only need a 650 Watt PSU if it is Platinum rated or 700 Watt if it is gold rated.

Crackling sounds can either be a bad fan or what is known as coil whine. If it is coil whine that one of the copper winding inside is the most likely culprit (electron jump sounds). I would return that power supply if it is still under warranty or the return window.

Status
Not open for further replies.