850w or 1000w for Radeon VII

Dean Wilkinson

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
850w or 1000w?

I considering getting Radeon VII, and as its in same power bracket of Vega 64 I debating what would be best PSU.

I want a safe margin, but won't be crossfire or anything, so maybe 1000w is overkill?

Solution
Ok running a estimated set up based roughly on what you have PC part picker shows your set up (with the GPU as a V64 for equal power usage) it shows a power usage of 460w

So i would say based on that that the 850w would be fine and would leave you plenty of head room. But i wouldnt go lower than that.

without the power consumption figures being out yet its hard to say.

Having said that with R7 being on 7nm the power consumption should be lower than the V64.

I would guess the 850w would be fine, but would suggest you wait until it is independently reviewed prior to launch before buying the PSU.

Ok running a estimated set up based roughly on what you have PC part picker shows your set up (with the GPU as a V64 for equal power usage) it shows a power usage of 460w

So i would say based on that that the 850w would be fine and would leave you plenty of head room. But i wouldnt go lower than that.

Solution