Jan 29, 2020
I am looking to purchase a new PSU, and in the future I am planning on installing an AIO CPU cooler, although I have not picked one out yet. However, I need to purchase the PSU a lot sooner than the AIO. I am not sure if I should purchase an 850w PSU or a 1000w PSU. I am planning on doing some light overclocking and I'm not sure if 850w will be enough, PC specs below:

Specs:
  • Current PSU: Corsair RMx 750w (Looking to get another Corsair PSU, but 1000w is pretty pricey :/ )
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x running at 4.0ghz
  • Current CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (planning on getting an AIO later on)
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080ti
  • RAM: 16GB (2x8gb) Trident Z running at 3000mhz (planning on upgrading later on)
  • Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi)
  • Storage: 1 Samsung 1TB 860 EVO, 1 Toshiba 1TB HDD (planning on replacing with 2TB SSD later on), 3TB Western Digital HDD
  • Fans: 7 case fans

Last edited:
Solution
I am looking to purchase a new PSU, and in the future I am planning on installing an AIO CPU cooler, although I have not picked one out yet. However, I need to purchase the PSU a lot sooner than the AIO. I am not sure if I should purchase an 850w PSU or a 1000w PSU. I am planning on doing some light overclocking and I'm not sure if 850w will be enough, PC specs below:

Specs:
  • Current PSU: Corsair RMx 750w (Looking to get another Corsair PSU, but 1000w is pretty pricey :/ )
  • RAM: 16GB (2x8gb) Trident Z running at 3000mhz (planning on upgrading later on)
  • Mobo: Asus ROG...

Specs:
  • Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi)
  • Storage: 1 Samsung 1TB 860 EVO, 1 Toshiba 1TB HDD (planning on replacing with 2TB SSD later on), 3TB Western Digital HDD
  • Fans: 7 case fans
Your system, as configued, will top out at around 500 watts. With overclocking I suppose it's possible you could hit 600 watts. A good 850 will give you more headroom than you have now, but the problem is finding a model that's comparable in quality to the RMx you have now and not cost a small fortune. I'm not convinced you need a 1KW model. Your current model may be able to do the job without issue if you want to continue using it.

The only unit I found worthy of considering that's in-stock is the EVGA Supernova G3 850W, although the RMx is slightly better IMO. Amazon shows it in-stock for $179 USD, which is higher than normal for that model but considering tariffs and world events this is what we have now. I'd like to tell you to get another RMx but there just aren't any around that I could find. Upgrading to the EVGA Supernova P2 Platinum will push the price well over $200 but it is an awesome model.

Some models show as in-stock but when you click the link it says 'backordered'. Microcenter has an RM850x for $159 but it's the white model. You didn't list your chassis so I don't know if that matters to you.
Pcpartpicker list
Microcenter

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS