860 EVO M.2 Drive not recognized in Windows install

urbanrider

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I just completed a new build and when Im trying to install Windows 10 my M.2 drive doesn't show up in drive list of the installer. If I boot into the BIOS I dont see the drive listed there either, only my DVD drive. This is the first M.2 drive I've installed so Im not sure if im missing something obvious here. A few notes

-Are there basic compatibility issues with M.2 drives that I'm not aware of? Aka did I buy the wrong drive? I dont think I can have installed it wrong.
-I haven't updated the BIOS yet
-I haven't tried M2_2 slot
-Only my DVD drive was plugged into the SATA ports

Build:
SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 250GB SATA III (installed into M2_1)
MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC
Windows 10

Solution
Tried all the answers above and nothing changed. So i removed the M2 drive and re-installed it and it worked fine. It was screwed in but i guess not pressed in far enough into the slot. Lesson learned for next time.
Remove everything from SATA and only have the M2 plugged in.
See if Bios sees it then. If it does, you just need to move the SATA cable to another slot.
Make sure you have pushed and screwed the M2 in, if the screws fit with no problem, then it should be slotted in perfectly.
Always the chance of it being a damaged drive if the BIOS isn't seeing it.

urbanrider

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Tried all the answers above and nothing changed. So i removed the M2 drive and re-installed it and it worked fine. It was screwed in but i guess not pressed in far enough into the slot. Lesson learned for next time.

Solution