Question 8600k fluctuating

Tahmeed797

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
Hey everyone i hope you guys are fine.

i just updated my motherboard bios to the latest one and since then i've been experiences some weird thing, i have an 8600k and with turbo boost on its suppose to reach 4.29ghz without any overclock, but since ive updated the bios my cpu speeds are fluctuating between 4 to 4.20ghz. I dont even know if this is an issue, its kind of just bugging me constantly.

Can anyone help please ?

Specs:
Asus Z370e
16gb ram
cryorig a40 aio
gtx 1050
corsair cs650m

also i would like to add, before updating bios pc was always on performance mode, 4.29ghz stable. Never overclocked anything.

EDIT: bios version i updated to is 1802

Last edited:

Tahmeed797

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
Hey everyone i hope you guys are fine.

i just updated my motherboard bios to the latest one and since then i've been experiences some weird thing, i have an 8600k and with turbo boost on its suppose to reach 4.29ghz without any overclock, but since ive updated the bios my cpu speeds are fluctuating between 4 to 4.20ghz. I dont even know if this is an issue, its kind of just bugging me constantly.

Can anyone help please ?

Specs:
Asus Z370e
16gb ram
cryorig a40 aio
gtx 1050
corsair cs650m

also i would like to add, before updating bios pc was always on performance mode, 4.29ghz stable. Never overclocked anything.

bios version i updated to is 1802

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you want you can always set a fixed clock in the BIOS. But if C-states are enabled and the computer is idling, you would typically want the CPU clock to drop down.

I would monitor temperatures of the CPU when it is showing a lower frequency. Your BIOS update may have reset the throttle points of the CPU or your cooler's pump RPM is being mishandled. (Usually a setting for pumps to halve the RPM used)

Tahmeed797

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
If you want you can always set a fixed clock in the BIOS. But if C-states are enabled and the computer is idling, you would typically want the CPU clock to drop down.

I would monitor temperatures of the CPU when it is showing a lower frequency. Your BIOS update may have reset the throttle points of the CPU or your cooler's pump RPM is being mishandled. (Usually a setting for pumps to halve the RPM used)
hey thankyou for the reply.

Yes i can but i have no idea how to or what voltage to set if i have to. As for temps they hardly reach 55 to 60 in games and stuff.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your typical overclocking guide will cover everything you need to know. Though your motherboard should have some presets you could also just try out.

I looked everywhere for a decent ASUS one, but the place I normally go for coffeelake seems to now be behind a broken paywall that can't be closed.

I must say that with Haswell I found the best guide for overclocking was for a Gigabyte board even though I did have an ASUS at the time.

Not sure if IntelGod here on the forum has a coffeelake guide (I've not found the new forum search to be all that useful in locating old stickies). Though you can also look up Skylake and Kabylake, they are very similar.

But the very basics. Anything up to 1.35 volts is okay for everyday use. You want to keep the CPU core temperatures below 85C, but preferably 80C as an everyday maximum. 4.8Ghz is a pretty commonly reached speed for Coffelake without too much trouble. 5.0Ghz is achievable on most chips with better than average cooling.