[SOLVED] 8600k OC P95 Fluctuating Clock Speeds

Nov 11, 2018
Basically I've been trying to overclock my 8600k with Prime95 as a stress test, but the frequency fluctuates like crazy according to Core Temp and HWinfo. Specifically I've been using this method to check for stability https://overclocking.guide/stability-testing-with-prime-95/ and i've only gotten to the 30min test runs. At first I used auto voltage and see how much it used as i increased the clock speeds to 4.9ghz then tried it with manual overclock to minimize the amount of voltage I would use at the same clock speed, but for some reason the frequency never stays at the target amount for longer than 5minutes before fluctuating and the voltage follows suite, despite both being fixed at certain values. I've even just tried something as low as 4.3ghz oc at close to stock voltages but I still see the same results. I included some pictures of my settings. Theres also the option that this is somehow normal? Somerging maybe worth mentioning but I played BO4 at 5ghz with 1.35v for around 4 hours with no problems. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/f84vVgE

Solution
Provided that you have sufficient cooling to avoid thermal throttling, you might wanna try the following in your msi bios:

1. Switch the Dynamic mode to Fixed Mode
2. Set AVX offset to 0
3. Go to DigitALL Power and select Mode 4 (constant horizontal line)
4. Disable C-state (you will have to go to the Motherboard Setting tab instead of the OC tab in the bios and find this)
5. Most importantly, check your Power Option once you boot into window.
Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Select High Performance and NOT power saving.
You can also click on change plan settings, scroll down to Processor power management, and make sure both minimum and maximum processor state
are set at 100%

After doing all of...

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hey there gabbytsai
As rodolphe.viard said... we would need all your specs..

And YES IF your CPU is getting too hot, it would be normal for the Clockspeeds to fluctuate...
Please do your stress tests again, while having open a monitoring program, to check the temperature...

Then please tell us those...

Greetz Memphisto

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
Provided that you have sufficient cooling to avoid thermal throttling, you might wanna try the following in your msi bios:

1. Switch the Dynamic mode to Fixed Mode
2. Set AVX offset to 0
3. Go to DigitALL Power and select Mode 4 (constant horizontal line)
4. Disable C-state (you will have to go to the Motherboard Setting tab instead of the OC tab in the bios and find this)
5. Most importantly, check your Power Option once you boot into window.
Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Select High Performance and NOT power saving.
You can also click on change plan settings, scroll down to Processor power management, and make sure both minimum and maximum processor state
are set at 100%

After doing all of the above, your clock speed should be constant.

Solution