[SOLVED] 8600k + RTX2080 or 9700k + GTX1080

Nov 7, 2019
I currently have an 8600k and 1080 combo and can do either a CPU upgrade or a GPU upgrade. Have a 2K monitor and primarily play the new Modern Warfare, Overwatch, HOTS, League.....

Eventually, I'd like to do both, but where is my biggest increase if I can afford just one right now.

Thanks!

Solution
Well, that depends on your goal I suppose. Do you want to increase FPS, increase graphics settings? What are you struggling with that either upgrade you think would improve?

9700k is basically just going to add two cores. So unless you are running titles that take advantage of that, not going to make a huge difference. Plenty of benchmark charts out there that will show the 8600k vs the 9700k with the same GPU.

A faster GPU is going to get you more FPS up to the limit of your CPU to run the game engine. But you could increase resolution or settings and get a higher quality image while maintaining FPS, up to you if that is something you want.

For myself, pretty content with a 7700k and a GTX1080 at 1440p. Frame rates still pretty much...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that depends on your goal I suppose. Do you want to increase FPS, increase graphics settings? What are you struggling with that either upgrade you think would improve?

9700k is basically just going to add two cores. So unless you are running titles that take advantage of that, not going to make a huge difference. Plenty of benchmark charts out there that will show the 8600k vs the 9700k with the same GPU.

A faster GPU is going to get you more FPS up to the limit of your CPU to run the game engine. But you could increase resolution or settings and get a higher quality image while maintaining FPS, up to you if that is something you want.

For myself, pretty content with a 7700k and a GTX1080 at 1440p. Frame rates still pretty much stay above 60FPS with no issues in everything I am running at the moment.

Solution
Nov 7, 2019

For myself, pretty content with a 7700k and a GTX1080 at 1440p. Frame rates still pretty much stay above 60FPS with no issues in everything I am running at the moment.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Apologies if this is a mixed answer, but my end goal is to play Modern Warfare at 2K with a higher FPS. I'm playing with High settings at 1080p with no issues, but I can see and "feel" the lag or frame rate fall when I go to 2k. Based on what you are saying, I think my best bet is to go to a 2080 if im reading it correctly.,

Thanks again.

If your mainboard properly supports a 9700K (you'll want a good cooler as well), even though it is 8 cores/and 'only' 8 threads, those 8 cores are clearly quite formidable, as based on no Ryzens matching it in 98% of all games.

If playing at 1080P, I'd stick with the GTX 1080, and lean towards replacing the 8600K, as 6 cores are adequate, but, lack of hyperthreading/6 threads is often lacking with many of today's newer games,where any added strain to the load can induce a frame frame rate drop/stutter according to many folks with 8400-8600 CPUs...

Nov 7, 2019
If your mainboard properly supports a 9700K (you'll want a good cooler as well), even though it is 8 cores/and 'only' 8 threads, those 8 cores are clearly quite formidable, as based on no Ryzens matching it in 98% of all games.

If playing at 1080P, I'd stick with the GTX 1080, and lean towards replacing the 8600K, as 6 cores are adequate, but, lack of hyperthreading/6 threads is often lacking with many of today's newer games,where any added strain to the load can induce a frame frame rate drop/stutter according to many folks with 8400-8600 CPUs...

What would you recommend for cooling. I currently have a Cryorig H7. Is that enough or do I need to step up?

Steve