865PE Neo2 Bios keeps changing when i add IDE's

i have Bios set so that - ON-Chip IDE Configuration is
Native Mode (Supported by WinXP- Allows all devices connected to IDE 1&2
and Serial 1&2 to be detected)
SATA Only or PATA Only (select the one that you boot XP with)
Keep SATA Active - Yes (if option available)
Keep PATA Active - Yes (if option available)
PATA Channel selection - Both (if option available)
Configure SATA as Raid - No (if option available)
Leave other settings here at default

i have XP Pro loaded on my SATA 160Gb Seagate which shows as Primary IDE
Master, then my DVD on 3rd IDE MAster BUT when i add my 40Gb IDE Maxtor HDD
it changes to
Primary Master = DVD
Secondary MAster = MAxtor
Third Master = SATA
and wont boot. It comes up say NTLDR is missing.
Why is this. I have another IBM 40Gb IDE drive that i want to put on as well
but when i do it says failed 4th Slave.

Thanks in advance to any helpers.

Mike

Splendid

Try different settings with the SATA and PATA. Write down what you
have, them change one at a time to get it to work. Try these first.
SATA Only or PATA Only
Keep SATA Active - Yes
Keep PATA Active - Yes
PATA Channel selection - Both
There is another selection below this for IDE order. Some will not
adjust until you fix another. They grey out. Get them to adjust and
I tried to find something on the forum but couldn't.

The Major wrote:
> i have Bios set so that - ON-Chip IDE Configuration is
> Native Mode (Supported by WinXP- Allows all devices connected to IDE 1&2
> and Serial 1&2 to be detected)
> SATA Only or PATA Only (select the one that you boot XP with)
> Keep SATA Active - Yes (if option available)
> Keep PATA Active - Yes (if option available)
> PATA Channel selection - Both (if option available)
> Configure SATA as Raid - No (if option available)
> Leave other settings here at default
>
> i have XP Pro loaded on my SATA 160Gb Seagate which shows as Primary IDE
> Master, then my DVD on 3rd IDE MAster BUT when i add my 40Gb IDE Maxtor HDD
> it changes to
> Primary Master = DVD
> Secondary MAster = MAxtor
> Third Master = SATA
> and wont boot. It comes up say NTLDR is missing.
> Why is this. I have another IBM 40Gb IDE drive that i want to put on as well
> but when i do it says failed 4th Slave.
>
> Thanks in advance to any helpers.

Thanks Mike will give this a go tonight.
"Mike" <mejacobie@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Try different settings with the SATA and PATA. Write down what you
> have, them change one at a time to get it to work. Try these first.
> SATA Only or PATA Only
> Keep SATA Active - Yes
> Keep PATA Active - Yes
> PATA Channel selection - Both
> There is another selection below this for IDE order. Some will not
> adjust until you fix another. They grey out. Get them to adjust and
> I tried to find something on the forum but couldn't.
>

> The Major wrote:
> > i have Bios set so that - ON-Chip IDE Configuration is
> > Native Mode (Supported by WinXP- Allows all devices connected to IDE 1&2
> > and Serial 1&2 to be detected)
> > SATA Only or PATA Only (select the one that you boot XP with)
> > Keep SATA Active - Yes (if option available)
> > Keep PATA Active - Yes (if option available)
> > PATA Channel selection - Both (if option available)
> > Configure SATA as Raid - No (if option available)
> > Leave other settings here at default
> >
> > i have XP Pro loaded on my SATA 160Gb Seagate which shows as Primary IDE
> > Master, then my DVD on 3rd IDE MAster BUT when i add my 40Gb IDE Maxtor
HDD
> > it changes to
> > Primary Master = DVD
> > Secondary MAster = MAxtor
> > Third Master = SATA
> > and wont boot. It comes up say NTLDR is missing.
> > Why is this. I have another IBM 40Gb IDE drive that i want to put on as
well
> > but when i do it says failed 4th Slave.
> >
> > Thanks in advance to any helpers.

TRENDING THREADS