8700 non K Overheating with Aftermarket Cooler on New Motherboard

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Recently my MSI motherboard failed on me and I replaced it with an ASUS.

I replaced it with an ASUS z370 TUF Gaming Plus, and now I am getting extremely high temps and throttling.

I swapped everything out and was up and running fine until I loaded up a game and realized my CPU was hitting 90C.

I started up Prime 95 to test and immediately hit 100c and then the CPU throttled.

I took the heatsync off reapplied thermal paste and remounted.

Tested with Prime again and the CPU is instantly hitting 85+ on the cores and then begins throttling.
I took the heatsync off again and reseated it.

I cannot find any issue; heatsync is coming directly in contact with the CPU.

I tested with AIDA64 and within 10 seconds get an overheating detected warning and then the cpu downclocks.

Aside from the motherboard, this is the exact same setup I have had for over a year.
I wasn’t exactly getting stellar results with the H7 previously but I certainly didn’t see overheating or throttling. In-game temps usually hovered around 78-84C. (I’ve got an older Define R2 case with a lot of drives mounted and a 1080ti producing a decent amount of heat in the case.)

I’m guessing it may be something in the bios. (currently everything is on auto/default)

HWmonitor is showing my Vcore at 1.37.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I don't think there is an issue with the CPU. It's been running just fine until I swapped the board out today.

I just tested the board's auto setup wizard and it decided to do a BLCK OC upping the frequency to 102.49. Vcore is up to 1.45 now. Will reset and look at manually turning down the voltage.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

That is the voltage with no OC. That is what it is defaulting to.

I have no intention of overclocking.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks! I"ll give that a shot.

I just managed to get the temps down with manually locking in the CPU core to 1.15, ran into some throttling issues with Prime but the temps were in the 80s instead of the 90s.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Thanks again for your help.

I've managed to get the temps down to an acceptable level, but turning off MCE causes throttling. Within 30 seconds of running Aida or Prime CPU speeds drop to around 3.2 ghz. With it turned on I stay at 4.3ghz but speedstep is unresponsive. (both on auto/enabled) CPU does not downclock at all.

Can't figure out what the issue is. The same chip ran normally on auto settings on the old MSI board.

I found dropping the voltage below 1.25 caused blue screens so I've got it set manually to 1.25.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Thanks. Yep, I've got it set to normal.

I changed my power management settings in Windows to balanced and have SpeedStep working now.

Temps and power usage still high for a chip that is not OC'ed with a solid cooler but I've got some better thermal paste arriving soon. Hopefully that sorts it out.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Thanks again! After changing power plans in Windows I've got SpeedStep functioning properly.

The help was greatly appreciated!