Question 8700 vs 8700k

Feb 13, 2019
I am currently looking at upgrading a few components to my gaming rig. Current CPU is a i7 6700 non k with the ASUS H170M Plus CSM MB and 32 GB DDR4 2133 RAM, looking to upgrade to either the 8700k or 8700 with the GIGABYTE AORUS z390 Elite MB. My GPU is a Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB. SO after all of that, torn between the 8700 and the 8700k. With the existing components and what I want to upgrade, what do you guys think?

Feb 13, 2019
the only other issue i had was with the MB, I want to upgrade it as well, so I know it will work with either the 8700 or the 8700 k but the RAM, I wonder if it will need to be bumped up a bit.

I love overclocking, so I'll speak up for the dark side just so you have all the info before you decide. If you go K, not only will it cost you more, but you would also need to get a cooler for it, as one does not come with the K variant. So it's a lot more expensive for a minor increase? So why in hell would anyone go K? Because it's fun. Overclocking. If you are interested in having your computer as one of your hobbies, then grab a K. You go into your settings and crank up your CPU to 5.0+Ghz for free. But be warned. Once you start, there is no turning back. Next you'll be spending thousands on useless custom water loops that are amazing.

Reactions: hutchl
Feb 13, 2019
Right now all I have for a cooler is a Gammax 200 so I am guessing it will need to upgraded if going to the K. I really havent been into the whole overclocking but I am sure it would be fun to get into, I just worry I would fry everything :)
I have no issues playing any games with the current setup i have, just looking at upgrading a couple of things, my current MB is a bit blah, looking for a little bit of spice with built in RGB, thats why I am looking at the Aorus, I know not really a great reason to do it but I am a geek that way.