[SOLVED] 8700k @ 5.1Ghz

Solution
What you should DO is run an actual thermal test, which Cinebench is NOT.

Cinebench is useful as a metric for STABILITY testing, since it runs a fluctuating workload, but for thermal testing you want a utility that applies ONLY a steady-state workload, like Prime95 Small FFT or OCCT small data set, with all AVX options disabled, as AVX creates unrealistic temperatures for most systems.

Check the end of my Overclocking guide for beginners, there are FULL testing guidelines there that are equally applicable to beginners or people who've been tinkering for years.

Furthermore, you SHOULD take the time to READ the Intel temperature guide...

Cinebench is useful as a metric for STABILITY testing, since it runs a fluctuating workload, but for thermal testing you want a utility that applies ONLY a steady-state workload, like Prime95 Small FFT or OCCT small data set, with all AVX options disabled, as AVX creates unrealistic temperatures for most systems.

Check the end of my Overclocking guide for beginners, there are FULL testing guidelines there that are equally applicable to beginners or people who've been tinkering for years.

Furthermore, you SHOULD take the time to READ the Intel temperature guide, as it answers probably every Intel CPU thermal related question that anybody could ever have.

Solution

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

Furthermore, you SHOULD take the time to READ the Intel temperature guide, as it answers probably every Intel CPU thermal related question that anybody could ever have.

had already done prime 95 small, only for a hour though max temp was 90

i shall have aready though your links, cheers mate

90°C is too high. Maximum for any Core-i CPU should be 85°C, at the MOST. Preferred, shouldn't exceed 80°C. Now, if you've got AVX instructions enabled while running that, that's different, but to get a baseline AVX, AVX2 and AVX512 should all be disabled if the option is there, depending on CPU model support for those instructions. Some CPUs simply don't support some AVX instruction types anyhow. For those that do, disabling them when thermal testing is recommended.

If it was, then you are about five degrees past the maximum we like to see under any conditions when running Prime95 Small FFT, or anything for that matter.