8700k Aio temps problem, RMA rejected. Need some input.

bryanchan9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Bought an id cooling Auraflow 240 Aio. Cpu is 8700k, got 40c idle and ~75c stress test (cinebench, aida64). No over clocking, xmp off, mce off. Seems pretty high and it was making overclocking incredibly difficult due to temps being 15c above normal. If i recall correctly cpus should sit below 30c idle and stress at around 60. Even air coolers. Also, had a weird sound coming from the pump, water gurgling / air bubbles, not sure. It is the loudest during cold boot and lasts around 15 mins and quiets down when it warms up but the watery sound is still there. Sound also spikes when on load, and totally randomly. Also when the pump is off for a few mins and turned back on sound is audible again. Its loud enough at times my whole room can hear it. Even outside. So this is making overclocking realllly difficuly due to high af temps. 1.25v 4.8ghz gives me 85+c on sttess. and annoying me with the sound. So as i was worried i sent it back to the reseller, and they told me those temps were normal. And called me later that night and told me they tested it on an i5 machine and got 35c idle (which is also high imo for an aio). And said the pump noise is very minimal and theres no problem. And now they say since i sent it back to them and they find no issue they are going to charge me 11$ fee, on top of the time and money needed for me to take the 30min drive there. I offered to bring my entire rig there to recreate the problem for them, they say its fine but will still charge me. So now basically my aio is held ransom and i have no idea what to do. Is my temps really normal? Are aio pumps supposed to flood your room with noise? Should i just pay them and get it back and just live with not ever having the chance to overclock?

AiOs are mostly shinny (or not so shinny) toys. The presence of the "liquid"/"water" in the name of the cooler does not make it great. Most half decent air coolers will do better cooling at lower noise than most AiOs.
The temperature is kinda normal. the actual number depends on room temperature, case temperature (airflow), radiator position and fans speed. That not to mention that last few intel's CPU generations are known for running hot without deliding.
The noise comes from air trapped in the AiO. When you start the computer air got sucked into the pump and making the noise. you have no safe way to remove it.
You can mount the radiator vertically with tubes on the lower end to eliminate the noise. Making the fans intake (pull fresh air from outside the case) might improve the temps.