[SOLVED] 8700K at 4.7GHz on MSI Z370 Tomahawk = very high voltage ?

Feb 23, 2022
Hi. I want my 8700K at 4.7GHz, so I turned on Intel Turbo Boost and Enhanced Turbo in bios. Problem is that my motherboard MSI Z370 Tomahawk is overvolting CPU with 1.52V even.
I'm new to OC so I want some help. What should I set in bios to make it safe and stable? Just set CPU Core Voltage at 1.25V (for example)?

Bez-nazwy-2.png

Solution
Set a manual voltage at 1.350 and All Cores at 4.7GHz - stress test. If it is ok , set the voltage to 1.340 and stress again. Drop the voltage until it is not stable.
If you have a decent cooler you can try 4.8-4.9GHz or even 5.0GHz.
There are many guides for 8700K - check Youtube.

But be aware, that cpu can run hot.

Multyspeed

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2015
Set a manual voltage at 1.350 and All Cores at 4.7GHz - stress test. If it is ok , set the voltage to 1.340 and stress again. Drop the voltage until it is not stable.
If you have a decent cooler you can try 4.8-4.9GHz or even 5.0GHz.
There are many guides for 8700K - check Youtube.

But be aware, that cpu can run hot.

Reactions: adibcasper
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Turn off the Enhanced Turbo IF you're going to leave Vcore on auto. The board already applies more Vcore than necessary on auto. Enhanced Turbo is an E-Z OC plus the unnecessary voltage.

Load Line Calibration level? Shouldn't exceed whatever is the board's medium setting.

Feb 23, 2022
Load Line Calibration level? Shouldn't exceed whatever is the board's medium setting.
Okay, got it. Should I change something else?
Intel Virtualziation Tech disabled?

What about all below? All maximum?
  • Long Duration Power Limit
  • Long Duration Maintaned
  • Short Duration Power Limit
  • CPU Current Limit

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Intel Virtualziation Tech disabled?
Disabled, unless you run virtual machines - I think.

• Long Duration Power Limit
  • Long Duration Maintaned
  • Short Duration Power Limit
  • CPU Current Limit
Long and show power limit can be 4096w, or even 300w... not like the cpu will ever draw that much. You should be able to make it pull 250w with some effort, but cooling would need to be pretty extreme...
Short duration... the longer the better. Didn't know there was a long one.
Current limit... can leave it where it is, since you're not doing anything hard with the core clock.

4.7 GHz was the stock single/dual core turbo of the 8700K anyway (4.4 GHz all core turbo?), and, given my 7700K operates at 4.7 GHz under all core load, why not try simply enabling/testing MCE for stability at a few lower voltage? (Try 1.35, then 1.3, etc., seeing if or when stability is negatively affected; often it's that last 100 MHz that might send temps out of the 'comfortable' range too quickly, so I'd test at 4.6 GHz all -core as well. Intel's XTU makes child's play of entering in these assorted values...)