8700k Base clock voltage and disable MCE?

bigdan8

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
All my components will be here today and I've been doing some reading on the voltages for the 8700k. I have no intention on overclocking my CPU, at least for the foreseeable future and I was wondering what settings I'll need to change on my MSI BIOS. I read about how MCE can do damage and give unnecessary voltage to the CPU and that it's best to disable it. But if I disable it, do I have to manually put in a voltage? Is Adaptive just a set it and forget it kinda thing? I'm wanting to run my 8700k at base clock speed of 3.7 GHz and try to minimize temperatures going up.

So if anybody can help me with that, I'd appreciate it. This is my first build and I really don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks.

Solution
You are better off turning it off. MCE carries with it several issues, but all are eliminated when MCE is disabled by default. Primary issues include operating out of spec, which isn’t true to the processor’s expected power consumption or cooling requirements, and potentially operating at a level that triggers BSODs or instability. This can happen when automatic voltage adjustments or auto LLC are operating below the requirements of a constant max-Turbo CPU.

BUT. You can leave it enabled and see how it operates, because it's not the question of damage - it's question of stability. If your system is unstable (e.g. reboots at high load, etc) you should try disabling it. Any suggestions that MCE can damage CPU have no ground.

No, you...
You are better off turning it off. MCE carries with it several issues, but all are eliminated when MCE is disabled by default. Primary issues include operating out of spec, which isn’t true to the processor’s expected power consumption or cooling requirements, and potentially operating at a level that triggers BSODs or instability. This can happen when automatic voltage adjustments or auto LLC are operating below the requirements of a constant max-Turbo CPU.

BUT. You can leave it enabled and see how it operates, because it's not the question of damage - it's question of stability. If your system is unstable (e.g. reboots at high load, etc) you should try disabling it. Any suggestions that MCE can damage CPU have no ground.

No, you don't have to manually input anything if you disable MCE.

Solution